Jeremiah

Shock was the only resident of my head before Susan snapped me out of it.

Susan : Let's go dance. It'll take your mind off things. Then maybe you can face your friend properly.

Jeremiah : Huh? But I—

   She dragged me toward the dance floor anyway. I couldn't decide if I should've been happy or annoyed. But her expression forbade to allow any kind of irritation to seep into my mind. My mind was already pretty blown!
She started moving to the beat. I shrugged internally but followed her. I actually felt better. The music rang though my ears and my heart vibrated accordingly. I found myself enjoying it within seconds.
   And then suddenly it happened again.
I met Susan's gaze and she smiled at me.

First her wave and then her smile.

It felt heavenly. So good that I unbelievably smiled back.

My tongue further moved on its own.

Jeremiah : You look good when you smile.

I braced for the impact of my compliment. She blushed pink and I realised girls who wore glasses look way cuter that other girls when they're shy.

Susan : Yeah, you do too.

Oh shit!
My already vibrating heart doubled over.

But that made my situation even messier than ever when I thought about the aftermath of the party.

What was I to tell Daniel?
Was he watching me? Me and Susan? Us?

I glanced around furtively to see if I could spot him. But it seemed like he had seriously vanished off the face of the earth. And the other kids didn't even care that the host of the party was missing.

Susan : Oh there he is!

No!
Her warning wasn't too quick. It was too late when I turned around. He was right in front of me. And he was smiling.

Jeremiah : Daniel! I—

Daniel : So how are you enjoying the party so far?

For a moment I didn't realise he was talking to Susan.
Neither did she.

Susan : Oh, me? It's actually great! To be honest, it's better than I expected as I haven't really attended many high school parties in my life, if you know what I mean.

I kept flicking my gaze from Daniel to Susan and then back to Daniel. But he did not even look at me. He deemed completely absorbed in conversation with the girl in between us.

Susan : Moreover, I acquired a new friend too!

Susan glanced at me. And then at Daniel.

Susan : Just a friend though. Nothing to worry about.

I couldn't help but smile at her uncannily emphasised assurance to Daniel. It was not spoken unkindly though. Daniel finally looked at me. My heart clenched up at his gaze. My brain fought hard to find a sentence worthy enough to sound consoling or something.
But I ended up smiling at him too.
I could think of an answer later. I didn't want to be a party-pooper just yet.

Daniel visibly stiffened and I clutched Susan's hand behind her back thus disallowing her from trying to run away. I needed a distraction. I didn't want to face it alone. Not right then.
Luckily, Daniel did not spot the physical contact between me and her.

Before silence could ensue, Susan exclaimed loudly.

Susan : Stars!

We all looked up. Sure enough, the unclouded dark sky was littered with brilliant stars. Everybody else was busy doing their shit. We stepped out of the crowd to avoid getting stamped on or pushed around. As soon as we were off the dance floor, Susan turned invisible.

Oh hell, not now!
DAMN IT!

I gulped. I had to face it sooner or later anyway.

Jeremiah : Da—

Daniel : Let's go for a walk.

He looked into my eyes.

Daniel : Please.

Minutes later, we were strolling down the dark deserted street. Away from Daniel's house and the party. In the tranquility, I almost forgot about my messed up situation but then Daniel hugged me back to reality.

Of course I was taken aback. But I didn't say anything. I let him do whatever he wanted. He released me after about a whole minute or two. Or maybe it was just me.

Daniel : Is it bad that I want you to be mine?

Woah!
Woaaahhhhh!!

Jeremiah : Daniel, I like you very much. But I don't think my "like" is the same as yours. And . . . I don't think it'll ever be.

I regretted being so straightforward suddenly.
Daniel heaved a long heavy sigh, looking up at the sky.

Daniel :  . . . Remember that day Jacob called you a . . . a faggot . . . So I thought. . . .

   Oh. . . . I shook my head at the ground. Daniel's eyes grew soft.

Daniel : We've known each other for a short time, haven't we?

Well, at least not long enough.

Jeremiah : . . . Yeah.

Daniel : I can still be your friend, right?

Jeremiah : You'll always be my closest frie—I mean—yeah. You can. Yeah.

   Shit, that came out wrong.
Daniel visibly forced himself to smile.

Daniel : So. Susan, huh?

I raised an eyebrow. My mind hesitated. But only for a second.

Jeremiah : What? What about her?

Daniel : Chuckle. . . You love her, don't you?

Jeremiah : Wha—I don't love her!

And then I realised, Daniel was back. The Daniel I knew and wanted to know was back. My heart leaped. Daniel smirked.

Daniel : So you like her. Now that I think hard about it, she's pretty cute.

Jeremiah : So what? I don't care.

Daniel laughed. I watched him laugh. But I couldn't find any trace of resentment.

Jeremiah : I don't need to apologise, right?

Daniel looked up at me with an amused expression and then smirked.

Daniel : What the hell are you talking about?

I laughed. He laughed. We both laughed together for sometime. The night seemed to become quieter for our pleasant laughter to echo all around us.

I couldn't've been happier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So . . . . How was that?
COMMENT what you thought about this chapter . . . .
And another absurd question : JeremiahxSusan or JeremiahxDaniel ?
Comment your answer.
Also, vote.
Also, keep smiling :) ;)
- Mallina