Chapter 3: Growing in numbers

(Hiccup's pov)

The first thing I did after befriending every Night Fury on the island was go to brothels and trading ports and confirm rumors of a tribe that befriends dragons. If the rumors are indeed true, then perhaps they'd be great allies. Either way, I had to confirm theses rumors. Currently draped in a cloak I packed with me, I noticed a brothel and entered the establishment, I was introduced to brutes of men chugging down mead, getting their cocks wet from a whores mouth and axe throwing at a Terrible Terror.

I clung to the shadows and listening to the conversations filling the air. Until I saw what looked like Dragon Hunters talking to one another, I moved as close as I can to their table without exposing myself. "I've heard of a clan called the Defenders of the Wing. It's said that their island is unstable by a volcano and the only reason the island still stands is because of a dragon call the Eruptodon." He states to his friend.

Eruptodon?

I've never heard of such a dragon, I continued listening to the hunters conversation. "Defenders of the Wing huh? I believe I've heard of them, they're rumored to reside in Caldera Cay." The hunter then shrugged and took a swig of mead. "It's mostly rumored based, nobody even thinks they're real." The hunter said in an uninterested tone, his partner grunted in agreement, and after they left I exited the brothel.

Caldera Cay.

Well, that's where I go next, as I exited the market I call out for Toothless and give him a basket filled with Icelandic cod, he devours my offering of fish and nuzzles my stomach as a sign of gratitude. After consuming the last fish Toothless croons, indicating that he's ready when I am, I climb on and we fly toward our destination. After a solid hour, an island came into view that had a volcano, we circled around the island and then touched down.

I pulled out my telescope and noticed a village in the clearings to the West, the architecture of the buildings definitely were not Viking in origin, but of something else entirely. I then noticed a statue of what looked like a Boulder Class dragon, that must be the what Eruptodon looks like. I decided to land in the forests not far from the village, once I dismounted Toothless we headed toward the village, after five minutes I looked up in the trees and gasp, men and women wearing black and silver armor looking down on us. "Uh, hi, we come in-" before I could continue I pull out a blow dart out of my chest and muttered "peace." Before everything went black.

As I reawakened I was on my knees and hands tied behind my back, I looked up and yelped as the people I saw in the trees look at me and a handful of others, I looked to my left to see one of them feeding Toothless some strange looking fruit. I stood up and saw a man with red hair and brown eyes approach me, he gave a cautious look. "I am Throk." He said before turning around. "All hail, Mala, Queen Defender of the Wing." He announces before bowing, as did everyone else surrounding me.

I then noticed their queen, she was wearing black and gold armor and had a strange sword at her hip, she had a long pixie hairstyle, alluring green eyes and she was drop dead gorgeous. She inspected me, with both caution and astonishment. "So, this is the dragon rider your group found Throk?" Her voice was angelic, she looked like she was three years older than me. The one called Throk nodded. "Yes my Queen, we were uncertain if he was friendly or hostile." He responded.

I bowed my head toward Mala and introduced myself. "Greetings Queen Mala. My name is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III." She smiles at me nods in acknowledgement and orders one of her guards to cut the ropes binding my hands. "Welcome to Caldera Cay Hiccup Haddock, what brings you to our home?" She asks, I exhale, ready to give my explanation. "In truth your highness, I'm from the island of Berk. My own father banished me, because I befriended a dragon. That place kills dragons for sport and sees them only as monsters." The guards begin murmuring until Mala shushes them, and nods at me for me to continue.

"Me and my Night Fury Toothless have built a home on the Isle of Night, the entire island has Night Furies and I wish to create a clan that coexists with dragons." I finished, everyone began talking amongst themselves, until all eyes turned to Mala since she holds the final descion. She looks at Toothless who bounds over to me and nuzzles into my body, I chuckle and scratch my dragons chin, he purrs in delight. "Your Night Fury truly is incredible Hiccup." She says, I smiled at her and gave Toothless and a giant hug, he leaned into my embrace, purring in content.

"Hiccup's offer is very compelling. Just imagine my brothers and sisters, if we join Hiccup Haddock, we can all ride Night Furies and truly strike fear into the hearts of those who abuse and show cruelty to dragons!" Everyone roared in agreement and approval.

I smiled, it looks like we have new allies to join the Strike Clan. I turn toward Mala, she smiles warmly at me and once we're arms length of each other, she extends her arm. "Walk with me Hiccup Haddock." She invites, I nod and walk beside her. "So Mala, what was that fruit your guards were feeding my dragon earlier?" I asked, she grabbed one and held it in her palm. "We call it Sagefruit. It calms even the most aggressive dragons. Plus it makes them easier to handle." She said, I hummed in acknowledgement, that makes sense, since the Night Furies do live up to their names.

She continued showing me around the entire village, until we sat down to the steps of her home, Toothless came over to me and sat next me, I scratched his chin, his eyes rolled and purred in delight. "So Mala, may I address you by your name?" I asked her, she smiled and nodded. I nodded. "How long have you lived here?" She looked off toward the sky and then turned toward me.

"I've lived here my whole life, being looked after by the Great Protector. I was told of prophesies that a man from a foreign land would save the queen on the field of battle and become her king." She said, I hummed intrigued by such a prophesy, another question formed in my mind. "So, why is the Eruptodon vital to your islands survival?" She then points toward the volcano. "The Great Protector eats the lava in the volcano to keep the lava flow at bay from overflowing, however our Great Protector is dying of a disease and our healers say nothing can be done to save its life and without our dragon to protect us, our home will be no more." She looks down with a sad face. I place a hand on her shoulder and give her a sad smile. "I'm really sorry."

Mala smiles and places her hand on my knee. "Your offer to join your new clan will ultimately be our salvation Hiccup Haddock. I accept your offer." She gives me a warm smile that causes my stomach to summersault. I bow my head in thanks and respect to my new queen and ally.