Chapter 30: Jealousy

(Hiccups pov)

"Where's Snotlout?" I asked the Hooligan guarding Snotlout's cell.

"He's in the cell all the way back." He motioned. I turned in the direction the guard was motioning to and sure enough, there was his cousin, sitting on an elevated stool with a sling over his shoulder cradling his stump wrapped in bandages. Judging by his still posture and the lack of emotion on his face, he was still plotting trouble. Even though I finally put Snotlout in his place, I knew I had to mend the bond between us because this was no way cousins were supposed to act towards each other.

"Honestly what is your problem Snot? "I asked, before grabbing a chair and sitting down, he cast me a dark glare and snarled. "YOU. You are my problem." I scoffed and shook my head. "That tells me nothing. What did I do to you that caused you to hate me so much?" Snotlout walked around back and forth and huffed and puffed in annoyance.

"What did I ever do to you, Snotlout?" I yelled as I shot up. My question, however, did stop Snotlout's walk. "I never did anything to you. Never humiliated you. Never stole your spotlight. Never beat you up ... not that I could. I never took anything from you and I never made you feel worthless. What do you have against me?!" I asked. My fist clenched into fists.

"Is it just because I had the life you wanted? That you thought I was undeserving of the role as Chief? Well here's the news ... I didn't want to be Chief. My father didn't want me to be Chief. No one wanted me to be Chief. I wasn't strong like you ... I wasn't the perfect Viking protégé. I was a nobody. And still you made sure to dedicate time towards making my life more miserable than it was. WHY!?" I roared, demanding an answer.

"Because you had Astrid!" He finally yelled back, turning around to face him.

"What do you mean I had Astrid? She didn't pay any attention to me!"

"That's where you're wrong, Hiccup." He said, taking deep breaths to calm himself down. "She always had something for you ... you just never saw it. Some days, when you would be working in the forge, and before I would have come in and teased you, she always stopped me, telling me you weren't worth it. That was her mouth speaking, but I saw the look in her eyes. She didn't want to see you beat up or teased. That look she had in her eyes, was interest in you ... something close to a crush. She was the one thing that I wanted but it angered me to see that you, of all people, caught her eye." He explained.

"You don't know that for sure. She never talked to me. She always made sure to keep her distance from me, otherwise she would have come under scrutiny for being friends with a social outcast. How could she have possibly been interested in me then?" I asked.

"Believe what you want now, Hiccup. But answering all of those questions, that's why I did what I did." He said, turning around and walking back toward the corner of the cell.

"So over ten years of my youth was torture just because you were jealous?!! Are you fucking serious?! When I didn't even have the person you wanted, you still blamed me?" I asked in disbelief, an incredulous expression on my face. But then I realized the kind of person my cousin really was. "You're a lazy, pathetic, spoiled brat, you know that?" he called, causing a cease in Snotlout's walk. "YOU are useless, you can't even take a hint that Astrid never has and never will like you Snotlout." I spat out.

"You got everything you wanted and you weren't happy just because the girl you wanted kept glancing at me from time to time with meaningless looks. Way to justify ten years of humiliation, Jorgenson." I continued to tell him.

"It goes much deeper than that, Hiccup. I'm just not going to tell you now." Snotlout snarled, I shook my head in disbelief and walked away before saying one last thing. "You are to be executed by my hand tomorrow, so I hope attempting to assassinate me was satisfying. Now? You'll join daddy in hell." I then left the Hooligans ship where they locked up Snotlout and once I was on the deck, I yelled out in anger, my voice echoing across the night.

I couldn't believe what I heard. Did my cousin actually hate me for being in Astrid's eyes all that time? All that humiliation just because she didn't give a yak's arse about me? No. There had to be more behind it. But I'd find that out another day. Although, I couldn't dismiss the fact that Snotlout revealed there was more to it then that.

Astrid joined Hiccup and sat next to him, Hiccup turned to see the beautiful Viking and looked out toward the horizon. "I heard everything." Astrid stated, Hiccup looked at her and then back out toward the horizon. "All those years of being beat into a bloody pulp was because that idiot can't take no for an answer." I shook my head in disbelief, still finding this truth hard to swallow.

"The fault was mine Hiccup, if I truly stood up for you then maybe that arrogant shit would back off." Astrid said, I shook my head and turned toward her. "No, if you stood up for me then he would've truly killed me back then. But what's done is done now." I pulled Astrid to my side and kissed her head, Astrid leaned into my shoulder and sighed contently as we gazed at the moon and the glistening over the water.

(Normal pov)

Snotlout was spat on, was being insulted and having food thrown at him as two Black Guards dragged him toward the clan square, where everyone gathered. Hiccup had his sword in hand and had an emotionless face as Snotlout was then tied on a stake upside down.

"For the crime of attempted murder and for destroying our grain store house, I sentence you Snotlout Jorgenson to death, any last words before I send you to the afterlife?" Hiccup asked, Snotlout closed his eyes and exhaled heavily. "I hope the Outcasts and Berserkers slaughter your people and the Red Death destroys your island!" Snotlout spat out, Hiccup nodded and stabbed his cousin in the heart and twisted the blade, killing him instantly. When Hiccup pulled his sword out, he sparked his sword and lit the stake on fire and soon enough the flames consumed Snotlout.

"Snotlout's jealousy got him executed, his choices were driven by anger, if any one disagrees with my choice of execution, speak now." No one spoke a word as the fire crackled and burned, Hiccup nodded and grabbed a bucket of water to put out the flames.

Hiccup shook his head in shame. "Despite our past Snot, we could've mended our differences, but your stupidity and foolishness had now denied us such an opportunity." I then spat at Snotlout's burnt bones, smoke sizzling off the matchstick of a corpse.