Chapter 9: Monsters

(Normal pov)

Over a year has now past since Berks previous heir was banished and life for the Hooligans was a living hell. They'd suffer from the raids almost on a daily basis and they were at a breaking point. "She gets to have all the fun doesn't she." Tuffnut grumbled as he and the rest of the teens were putting out fires. Of course the male Thorston twin was referring to Astrid Hofferson, the girl was now a true Viking shield maiden. All the teens watched in jealousy as the ferocious Hofferson was engaged in combat several houses away.

Snotlout growled and hurled water at the roaring flames. "How's that fair? I'm the heir of Berk and I have to be a bloody firefighter?!" Everyone just shut out his complaining, Ruffnut slapped Snotlout in the head. "Shut your trap Lout! If you spent less time flirting and jerking around then maybe you'd kill a dragon and be out in the field."

Snotlout grumbled under his breath, green gas suddenly started to seep through the cracks of the house they were working on, Fishlegs eyes widened. "Zippleback gas! Everyone get down!!" The teens scattered just in time for that house to explode and that said dragon flew off with a net full of sheep. The teens watched in disbelief, the dragons weren't just attacking but their coordination was flawless, they were taking more food then ever before.

Fishlegs grit his teeth, got back up and continued to work away. "Come on ladies! Back at it!" He bellowed to the other teens, they were taken back by his tone but got back up and continued to put out the flames threatening to consuming their barn.

In the village square though, Astrid was in her own world, she removed all distractions and focused on the Gronkle in front of her. "C'mon you devil!" She growled circling the dragon, waiting for it to Strike first. "I'll mount your head on a spear." The dragon roared in outrage and charged Astrid, the shield maiden barrel rolled out of the way. The young Viking noticed something in the dragons eyes, they'd usually be big orbs, but instead it's eyes looked clouded and turned into very thing slits.

"It seems possessed." She mumbles to herself, the Gronkle opened its mouth to let loose a searing fireball, murder was its clear motive. Astrid blocked the attack with her shield only for the impact to send her back a few feet. She groans as she gets up, that same dragon charges at her with jaws open wide intending to snap down on her. Astrid dodges the attack and in the process cuts the dragon in its side.

The dragon roars in pain, and soon lands and snarls at the shield maiden, she quickly throws her axe at the dragons wing, the blade cuts the wing clean off its body. The Gronkle roars in absolute agony, the dragon retreated to the woods, Astrid growls and grabs a bola. "Vile beast! Come and face me!" She roared as she ran after it. Adrenaline flowed through her veins as used every ounce of strength she had to catch up to her opponent. She caught and began swinging the bola and aimed it at the dragons legs.

Astrid threw the bola and it tangled around the Gronkles legs and it fell down a slope and she heard disgusting crunching. While the dragon gave her a good hunt, this chase finally was at an end. The sounds of death, destruction and screams faded as only Astrid and the Gronkle remained, the dragon struggling to free itself, but unfortunately to no avail. Astrid looked into the dragons eyes to see the cloud pass and return to big orbs, it began to panic and make whimpering sounds. The young Viking stopped dead in her tracks, perhaps Hiccup was right; that the dragons can be trained and they could be- no. NO!!

What was she thinking?! Dragons killed her Uncle Finn, tainting her family name. She'd see honor returned to her clan and prove that the Hoffersons aren't weak. "I'm a Viking." The Gronkles eyes were pleading, but Astrid didn't plan on showing mercy. "Do you hear me monster? I'm a Viking!" The Gronkle gave what looked like a nod and closed its eyes, accepting its fate.

"I'm a Viking."

Astrid raised her weapon high in the air and then brought her axe down, and dying howls filled the night along with the other mayhem happening.

As the sun rose that morning, corpses of both man and dragon littered the ground and their blood soaked the grass. Stoick had spotted trade ships sailing into port, he and a handful of the Berk guard went down to greet Trader Johann. "Chieftain Stoick! Always a pleasure to do business with you my good sir." Stoick nodded in acknowledgement, and ordered his men to gather their usual goods and provisions for the village. "Still at war with the dragons eh?" Johann asked, Stoick grunted and turned toward the trader. "They're taking more food than ever Johann, we're at a breaking point here."

Johann hums in understanding, scratches his chin in thought. "Have you payed visit to the Dragon Master?" Stoick turns around and gives the trader a confused look, Johann merely nods and points to the horizon. "I've heard rumor that there is a new tribe called the Strike Clan off the ruins of Caldera Cay and rumor has it, the clan has a man who can tame any dragon and can solve all your dragon problems." This grabs Stoicks full attention, he looks off into the horizon, the only person he knows that can have such a way with the beasts is banished son.

"This Dragon Master, where does he live?" Stoick asked, Johann took a sip of water from his flask and gave Stoick a map and pointed out an island that about thirty minutes long from the Northern Markets.

"The rumor says, the Dragon Master lives on the Isle of Night, home of the Night Furies."