Chapter 16: Promise

(Hiccup's pov)

After my close encounter with that Roman Legates, I've ordered our riders and dragon patrols to keep an eye out for any possible intruders or incoming attacks. I wouldn't take any chances, especially with Romans. I've never seen their soldiers in person before, but I've heard stories about how they've conquered many lands and turn their prisoners of war into slaves.

A fate worse than death.

I won't let Romans turn dragons into personal war machines.

Never.

I slid off Toothless and knelt to his face and held it in both my hands, he warbled in question, I smiled rubbed his face. "There's no way I'm letting anything happen to you bud, if the Romans want a piece of you, they're going to have to go through me." I pressed my forehead to his and he did too. Toothless spoke via telepathy.

"Thank you Hiccup. I will protect you with my life, as I know you will for me too."

I smiled and when we broke apart, I led Toothless to the feeding stations and he dove his face into the troth full of salmon. "You sure do work up quite an appetite bud." Toothless wagged his tail and spoke.

"Being your dragon we do many missions and jobs together, so I must have my proper fill of fish."

I merely shake my head while chuckling, I look out toward the horizon and wondered what Astrid is doing, I hope she's alright and I hope she'll find me soon.