Chapter 38: Thick tension

(Normal pov)

The only sign that told them it was daybreak, were the small streaks of light breaking through a few see-through cracks in the hull that were well above the water level. After their little conversation yesterday, Astrid concluded that they needed to get all the possible rest they could and so, got comfortable as best as they could. Hiccup pushed himself back to the wall, keeping his arms to his sides and rested his head against the hull. Astrid simply let her head fall forward a little as she settled in for the night. They hadn't known how long they were sleeping for when there were a few knocks, and the familiar sound of a key unlocking the door. The two tiredly opened their eyes to see a few guards with plates of bread and two mugs of water walk in, with Alvin behind them. One guard went to Hiccup's side, un-cuffed one of his hands before settling the plate and mug next to him on the ground.

The other guard untied Astrid's wrists from behind the chair, before handing her the plate and keeping the mug on the floor next to the chair. Both guards then stood close by, their hands at their weapons in case they tried anything.

"You two might wanna eat up, considering we hav' a long day ahead of ourselves." Alvin spoke as the two looked at their food. "If yer' wondering if it's poisoned, it's not. What good would come to me if two were dead?" The two looked at each other before, taking a bite of the bread. It was on the stale side, but it would do for the time being. "After yer' breakfast you'll be heading to convince that dragon of yer's to lead us back to Dragon Island." Alvin continued.

"How far are we from Berk?" Hiccup asked.

"We're about fourteen hours west of Berk. Why do ye' ask?"

"We're heading in the right, general, direction of Dragon Island. Toothless should be able to find it when we get up on deck and he's able to focus." Hiccup explained, munching down the last remnants of his bread, before reaching for the mug of water.

"The lass will be coming with us as well."

"Why do I have to come?" She asked, downing her water in one go. The two hadn't been given anything to drink during their torture, or before they fell asleep. It felt as if they were drying up from the inside, and the cool refreshing water cured that.

"To make sure Cutthroat and Dagur and don't try anything. Plus, I figure that dragon of his has taken a likin' to you. So I'm protecting you and using you as leverage."

"I feel so loved." She muttered with a roll of her eyes, placing her mug back down. "Shall we get this over with then?" She asked.

"We shall." Hiccup agreed.

"Alright then. But no funny business." Alvin warned, before giving the signal to his men to release them. Hiccup's guard unlocked the cuff on his other wrist while Astrid's guard untied her legs from the chair. The two of them rose up, wobbling a bit, getting used to the rocking sensations of the ship. Being tied down and chained to the wall meant no time for standing. They didn't make any attempts to escape, and placing Astrid before himself, Hiccup walked out with her with Alvin and the two guards behind them.

"This way." Alvin beckoned them to follow. He was leading him down the corridor that led to the stairs which opened the inside of the ship to the cool, crisp air of the wind and sea on deck. The two had to temporarily shield their eyes from the morning sunlight. They were glad to be out of the hull that smelled of only fish guts, ale and blood - most likely from the fish. The deck was relatively quiet, with a few Berserker guards posted. There were some catcalls and shrewd comments directed in their way, specifically towards Astrid, due to her lack of clothing from the Berserker guards. She didn't pay any attention to them as she walked past them, giving a few of them a glare. Hiccup took her hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze. She smiled in reply, looking at him. However, when they looked ahead, they saw a cage with a black mass in it, up near the captain's wheel.