Chapter 34: Scoping out the situation

(Normal pov)

Hiccup woke to sunlight in his eyes, he blocked the rays of light out of his face to looked to his side to see the woman he loved with all his heart. Astrid. He smiled at the sight of her, blond hair splayed out over the bedding and the furs hugging her curved body perfectly. He smiled and gently kissed her lips and whispering. "I love you, I'll be back soon." She smiled and continued sleeping.

Hiccup rose from the bed and bathed for the day, washing away the stench of sweat and sex on his toned body.

After bathing he put his armor on, placed Inferno on his hip and called Toothless. The Night Fury appeared in minutes, wagging his tail like a puppy would and gave Hiccup and gummy smile. "Someone's defiantly ready to go flying." Hiccup said amused at how his loyal dragon was jumping in excitement. "Alright Toothless lets go!"

Once they were a few miles away from the Isle of Night, the two glided over the water, the wind and sea breeze caressing their faces. They then shot up to higher altitudes.

Once they were hundreds and hundreds of feet in the air, just above the cloud bank. It had been a long time since they could just fly together, and Hiccup wasn't wasting the chance to test out his newest invention. A glide suit.

It was for emergencies, in case he was ever knocked from Toothless mid-flight and they couldn't get back to each other. Toothless would be fine, being able to control the tale fin enough to glide to safety, but Hiccup wouldn't, he had nothing to help slow down a fall. Until now.

"Okay, you ready Bud?" Hiccup asks. "Lets test the wind first with a free fall."

Hiccup locks the tail fin in place and removes his metal leg from the pedal. Toothless warbles in excitement, they both loved free falls. Hiccup unlatched the safety device and slid to the side off Toothless. He immediately began to plummet.

"Whoooooa Yeah!" Hiccup yelled in exhilaration, this was what he lived for.

Hiccup fell a good hundred feet through the clouds, breaking through the bottom. He continued to fall another two hundred feet, Toothless not far behind him. The water below was fast approaching and Hiccup signaled for Toothless to come closer so they could fly back up. Hiccup attached himself back to Toothless only 50 feet from the water.

"Oh wow! That was, amazing!" Hiccup cheered, lifting up his mask. "It's the perfect weather for the test. The wind has a strong updraft and it's calm below."

Toothless flew them back up through the clouds. While he wasn't sure about the suit his friend had made, it was a good idea, he didn't want anything happening to his friend if they got separated. He could take a fall from a few hundred feet, his human rider? Not so much.

Once they broke through the top of the cloud bank Hiccup readied himself for another fall. He redid the lock on the tail fin and pulled his mask back on. Unhooking himself from the saddle, Hiccup was giddy with adrenaline coursing through his veins.

"Okay, I'll pull just as we leave the clouds Toothless. All right, glide suit: Test 1." Hiccup said, sliding off Toothless' back once again.

He waited a few moments, enjoying the fall. Toothless fell right beside him and when he looked at his best friend, he was given a gummy smile. Just as he broke through the clouds, he gave the dragon a thumbs up. He reached down to his legs where he slipped his wrists into loops on his calfs before strongly yanking up and straightening his legs. Web-like wings appeared, connected to his body from his wrists to his ankles.

His entire body jerked as the wings caught the wind and slowed him down significantly. Toothless shot past him for a moment before the dragon opened his wings to do the same. Soon they were right beside each other again.