Chapter 5: Raids

(Astrids pov)

The village was in absolute chaos. Dragons. Everywhere. They came out of nowhere under the cover of darkness, so we all lit the lanterns to spot them easily and take them down. But I was eager to fight.

Life was obviously different without Hiccup here, nobody had to babysit him and make sure he didn't destroy half the village, he couldn't forge anymore of our weapons, that meant Gobber got himself a new apprentice. But I hated to admit it but I missed Hiccup. A lot. Sure he wasn't my favorite person, but my jealousy caused him to be banished from his home, I've never felt more guilty about anything in my life. I shouldn't feel this way, because Hoffersons don't pity traitors, but Hiccup is different, he always has been.

I graduated dragon training with me having the honor of killing the Monsterous Nightmare, and finally becoming a true Viking shield maiden. The dragon raids were getting worse however. More violent. But Hiccup did have a point on one subject.  Was this war still worth fighting for? The dragons have lived here before we Vikings showed up, I really wish he was still here so I can get more answers.

"Astrid! Heads up!!" I turned around to see a Nadders deadly spines come toward me but someone blocked the attack. Asbjorn Azouf. One of, if not the most deadliest warrior of my generation, he seems to attract all the girls, yet looks aren't everything. Asbjorn proceeded to smash his shield in the Nadders face and cut it in the leg.

The Nadder releases an agonizing squawk, tail swipes him, causing him to fall and drop his shield in the process. It then breathes its magnesium fire at Asbjorn, I dive toward his shield, pick it up and block the flames, after the Nadder runs out of flame, it shoots toward the sky. I release a breath and extend my hand out for Asbjorn, he takes it and I hurl him up. "Thanks for the save Astrid. It looks like we're even now." He teases, I smirk and roll my eyes, we proceed to help out those who are in need of help. I look to my left to see Fishlegs, Snotlout and the twins putting out fires, though they didn't pass dragon training, they still prove themselves useful as Vikings.

I than noticed Stoick. The man wasn't the same since banishing Hiccup. He was cold, brutal, and was becoming a tyrant. The man was battling two Monsterous Nightmares, he bashed his war hammer against ones jaw, I heard a disgusting pop, that blow sent the dragon back a few inches. The second Nightmares head was bashed in until nothing remained of its head, but blood, brains, teeth and a pile of gore. Stoick turned around to see the dragons vacate the island carrying away more livestock than we can count.

Stoicks face twisted into pure rage. He let loose a mighty roar that even had us speechless. "Damn these beasts to Hel!!" He cursed. "Why Odin do you continue to punish us by sending these...devils." He seethed, he grunted in anger and stomped out what little of the Nightmares face he bashed open earlier.

Asbjorn whispered. "Talk about unleashing bottled up anger." I merely nodded. Banishing Hiccup changed Stoick, for the worst. The chief walk past us and gathered us to the village square. "I'm calling an emergency meeting the Great Hall at dawn, get some rest." He ordered, nobody dared to defy his order, especially in the mood he was currently in.

(Normal pov)

As morning broke, everyone gathered to discuss the crisis. "These raids are pushing us to the breaking point. Soon, we'll all starve before winter hits us." Stoick boomed, everyone murmured in agreement. "What would have us do brother?" Spitelout asked. Stoicks face was hardened, he exhaled heavily. "We find Hiccup, and bring him back here to tell us where the nest is." The Hall erupted with protests, strongly disagreeing.

"ENOUGH!!" Stoick roared, his fist connecting to the table, splitting the wood. Once everyone settled down, they diverted their attention back to the chief. "Who knows dragons better than any of us? Besides Ingerman?" The Vikings mumbled. "Hiccup." Stoick nodded. "Find the boy. Bring back here and we can finally end this madness. Dismissed." Everyone departed the table but went to grab their morning meal.

"Chief." Stoick turned around to see Astrid Hofferson. "Aye lass?" The girl cleared her throat before speaking. "With respect. You did banish Hiccup. What makes you think he'll return willingly?" Stoick than places his eyes toward the map of the entire Barbaric Archipelago. "We will find him and bring him back here, even if I have to slay that demon he calls friend." The Chief seethed before stabbing the map with a sword before walking off leaving the young Hofferson girl speechless.