Chapter 17: Three years later

(Normal pov)

Rainfall graced the Isle of Night, the sound of thunder claps in the heavens told of a storm approaching. The rainfall served as excellent cover for the royal hunting party, it was tradition for the first born of each family to partake in the royal hunt to prove their skills as warriors, trackers and prove themselves worthy of becoming part of the Black Guard. The Black Guards are the personal guards of Queen Mala, they're tasked with defending their home and friendly dragon nests with their lives, however certain members of the Guard are hand selected for more delicate matters or dangerous assignments to ensure completion.

The rainfall streamed down Hiccup's face and his forest green eyes seemed to have glowed in the early morning darkness, he and his hunting party were out securing wild game, because with winter around the corner, they needed all the food they could get, not that weren't running low, but in Hiccups case, it was better safe rather than sorry. Their prey was a pack of elk, if they could manage to bring back the whole pack, they'd have more than enough food. Hiccup turned to his left to see one of his dragon riders jump from branch to branch without making a sound, he performed sign language. 'Toothless and the other Night Furies are waiting for us to bring these guys to them.' Hiccup nods and looks to his right to see more of his men signaling him he was ready. Hiccup nodded and gave his dragon call, the elk bolted, spooked by the call.

The elk were running toward a ridge line, and before they could climb up it, a streak of purple flames divided the elk and ultimately dividing the pack to fend for themselves. The Night Furies had their wings spread to show the elk they were the alpha species; they release mighty roars and fired at the elk to stop them in their tracks, the royal hunters picked the elk of with steel sharpened arrows, enough to cut through bone. Hiccup ran toward a lone elk who managed to escape the carnage and ran, a Night Fury ran beside him carrying a bag full of bolas and other trapping tools, he grabbed a bola, twirled it expertly and let it fly, the bola wrapped itself around the elks legs, making the animal lose its footing and roll out of control, until it slammed into a tree.

Hiccup drew a dagger from his boot and made his way to the squirming the elk. He plunged the knife into the animals back, it died seconds later.

"A glorious hunt!"

"Always a pleasure to hunt with the Dragon Master!"

Everyone cheered and the Night Furies roared in approval, after the short celebration, everyone hauled in their kills and made their way back toward the clan. Hiccup sat on top of his loyal friend Toothless and fed him several fish, the young man chuckled in amusement as Toothless chomped down the last the fish and licked his lips.

The clan came into view after twenty minutes of walking out of the woods, and the rain was starting calm down, though it was still coming down lightly. The women in the area welcomed their husbands and first born children back, and offered them warm drinks, which they all gladly accepted. Hiccup dismounted and told his hunting party to rest up. Dragons included, the dragons nodded and bounded off with the other Night Furies.

Hiccup looked up to see riders and the Dragon Rider Corps were patrolling their home, each were tasked to defend their home from hostile dragons, tribes, intruders and so on. Hiccup wanted to remain on high alert with any potential threat lurking in the shadows.

Life on the Isle of Night was very good.

(Astrid's pov)

"FIRE!!"

I turned to see homes being consumed with flames. The cause? Why, dragons of course. These raids have pushed us to our last stand, and I really see no reason to continue fighting this war. All of the dragon blood I've spilled was for an illusion of glory and laurels. Fishlegs and the twins even saw that this war was a pointless cause. Though not everyone agrees with the four of us, Stoick of course still insists on finding Hiccup, we've all heard of the Dragon Master, and it has to be Hiccup.

The problem is, the dragon raids have kept us locked down, they've been hammering us on a daily basis, it's a miracle we're even alive. As the sun rose, the smell of smoke and fire lingered in the air, our home was in complete shambles. Stoick has called an emergency meeting in the Great Hall, consisting of the entire tribe. Once everyone was present, Stoick and the council members gathered around the table with plans and maps of the known Viking world.

"Berk is on the brink of total annihilation, the dragons aren't giving us time to catch our breath, so we have no other choice but to visit the Dragon Master." Stoick boomed, everyone began talking amongst themselves, some agreeing while some strongly disagreeing. Mildew, a cranky and scrawny old man objected. "This Dragon Master is a traitor Chief! He's sided with these devils who've already pushed us to our final stand!" He barked, people shouting in agreement.

Stoick growled at Mildews words, there was a reason his home was built on the other side of the island so the tribe wouldn't have to listen to his whining. "I don't have the patience for you Mildew, my decision is final, I along with a handful of others will travel to the Strike Clan, if the rumors are indeed true, their home is built where the infamous Night Fury dwells in." The people whispered in awe, shock and wonder, Stoick then looked toward his people. "Now, I'll need volunteers."

Astrid stepped up, as did Fishlegs, the twins, Gobber and a handful of others, Stoick nodded and beckons Snotlout to beside him. "Nephew. You'll come with us too, you need to learn about negotiations, and I don't want any excuses." Before Snotlout could argue, Spitelout squeezes his sons shoulder. "Aye. Stoick is right, you need to learn how to thrive in politics, not just swinging wildly with your war hammer." Snotlout grumbles but nods.

"It's settled then, at dawn tomorrow, we leave for the Isle of Night."