Chapter 15: Glory to Rome

(Legates Cato pov)

The sea breeze was soothing against my face, though the journey to the farthest corners of the world was worrisome. I've been blessed by the Emperor himself to search for the a mythological beast called the Night Fury. The Emperor proclaimed that with this beast by his side, it is a sure sign that his rule will not be challenged- and since this is one of the rarest dragons to ever grace this world, failure is not an option, I will capture this creature and prove to my Emperor that I will obey all his commands.

I was in my quarters looking over maps and charts toward our destination. The Barbaric Archipelago. I sneered at the very thought of Vikings. They were considered the most vile and most bloodthirsty people to be on the face this world. I've questioned why the Emperor wants one of Rome's finest legion in search of could possibly be a myth. I've heard stories of dragons, but I've never laid my eyes on such a creature. I remember my father telling me that these creatures are considered to be a thing of fiction, used to frighten children, but if the Emperor says there are dragons out there, then they're out there.

Also, a large group of slaves have escaped our grasp, with the recent defeat of the Thracian slave Spartacus and his former army of slaves, these escaped vermin have fled to these waters in order to escape Rome's shadow. The fools. This was our secondary mission, kill those who've caused grievous injury to Mother Rome.

I heard my men clamoring outside, I put my helmet on and tightened my armor and as I exited my quarters, I noted my men rushing to their stations, archers nocked their arrows, and catapults at the ready. I looked up at the sky and noticed something coming toward us at high speeds. "Sir, you'll want to see this." My ships captain said, I rushed up the stairs to the deck of the ship and took the telescope the captain offered me.

What I saw shocked me. There was a man, riding a dragon black as night.

The Night Fury.

The Emperor's prize was within our grasp! I set the telescope aside and barked orders. "Men! Open fire! Take that dragon down!" With that said, my men unleashed a storm of steel upon this dragon rider, my men knew how important this mission was, so they dared not shoot kill, but merely knock this man out of the sky. I grabbed a bow and an arrow and took aim, and just as the duo was about to slip from our grasp, I fired and hit the dragons tail, it shrieked in pain was heading right toward us, my men evaded as the dragon slammed down hard on the ships deck.

The dragon appeared to be wrapping itself in its wings and my men had shields raised and swords drawn and archers at the ready, I made my way down toward the dragon and soon as I stopped the dragon got up and its rider too. I inspected the man from head to toe, he wore impressive armor, all black, but with outlines of gold as well, he had a helmet that covered his whole face and had horns coming off the top, the horns too were gold. Who is this man?

The man looked around to see he was completely trapped, I smirked and decided to introduce myself. "I am Legates Cato, leader of the Felix Legion. Our Emperor has tasked us to bring back a Night Fury to him so that no one will ever challenge his rule." I noticed this man tense, he reached up to remove his helmet to reveal young man, possibly eighteen years old, with auburn hair and a small scar on his chin.

This young man looked me dead in the eyes and asked a question. "Your Emperor wants a Night Fury?" I nod, he looks to his feet and then he returns his eyes back to mine. "Why?" I sigh and slowly walk toward him, his dragon snarls at me, it's teeth bared. "My Emperor wants a Night Fury because he views them as a sword, those who dare defied us will be struck down by this magnificent creature." I gesture to his dragon, who growls, but it's rider seems to have calmed it down? Fascinating.

"Satisfy my curiosity. How did you train such a dragon? From what I've heard, these dragons are the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself, how did manage such a thing?" The young man backs up and my archers still are locked on him if he dares attempts anything. Finally the man looks at me. "It's a secret you and your Emperor will never learn. NOW TOOTHLESS!!" Before I can attack, the dragon fires at my archers, their corpses are burnt to a crisp, the dragon fires a second shot directly at me, I roll out of the way to see the shot hit my men with their shields still raised, but the force of the shot sends a group of them flying back and their shields broken.

The man climbs on his dragon and they shoot toward the heavens, I yell in outrage, draw my sword and stab the railing and watch as the duo fly out of range of my archers, my soldiers rush toward me. "Sir! Orders?" I turn around and smile wickedly. "We return to Rome and request reinforcements, and then, we track them down and bring them to our Emperor." They nod and return to their stations, I look out toward the horizon, our mission is going very well now. I will not fail my Emperor. Glory to Rome.