Chapter 8: Reflect

(Normal pov)

"C'mon Hiccup! Let's go!"

Hiccup chased after Astrid through the streets of Berk, they maneuvered around homes, carts, people and animals.

They were playing tag, one of their favorite games to play on a warm Spring day.

"Astrid!! Slow down!!" Hiccup yelled, the blond girl giggled and yelled back. "It's not a challenge if I slow down now is it?" Hiccup grunted and ran faster, Astrid too picked up her pace that was until Hiccup tripped on a rock and rolled around the ground and groaned in pain.

Astrid stopped immediately and ran to Hiccup. "Hiccup! Are you alright?" She turned his body around to see Hiccup laughing as if nothing had happened and he grabbed her, she shrieked in surprise and they rolled through the field of grass together until Astrid pinned him down. "Ugh! You jerk! I thought you hurt yourself." Hiccup gave a cocky smile. "Made you slow down though didn't it?" Astrid scoffed in disbelief and playfully punched his shoulder.

Astrid slid off Hiccup and the two looked up toward the sky. The air was crisp and warm, the sounds of birds chirping in the distance and the ocean waves crashing down on the rocks above the cliffs and beach.

"Hey Hiccup?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad you're my friend."

Hiccup smiled warmly and replied back. "I'm glad you're my friend too Astrid." They pulled each other into a warm hug.

(Hiccup's pov)

I woke up and my heart was beating a little faster than normal. That dream I had, that was one of the best days of my life, seeing Astrid so happy and free, she made me feel loved.

That is until her Uncle Finn was killed thanks to the Flightmare.

(Flashback)

"Aurvandil's Fire!!"

The people were Berk were in a panic. Aurvandil's Fire is a Northern Lights display that occurs every few years over Berk. But this event attracts a Mystery Class dragon.

"The Flightmare is here!! Run!!"

The war horn was being blown and then a bright light appeared, causing nearby Vikings to look away and shield their eyes. Legend has it that the Flightmare is so terrifying, it actually freezes its prey in their tracks. What they didn't know is that it's weapon is a paralyzing mist that freezes its victims with fear.

Villagers ran away and they couldn't fight the dragon because they couldn't see it due to its bright light.

Astrid and Hiccup were in village square and the blond saw an axe on the ground, she grabbed it and was about to charge the dragon, Hiccup yelled at her stop but she kept moving until someone stopped.

"Oh no you don't! Astrid stop!"

The blond turned around to see her Uncle Finn giving her a hard glare, she returned it, hoping to sway her uncle to step aside. Guess how that went?

"This not your battle lass." He places his hand on her cheek and caressed it, then smirked. "Not yet anyway." Finn turned around to see the dragon getting closer and it's light shining brighter. "You Wait here with Hiccup, your Uncle Finn is going to make sure this nasty dragon won't destroy Berk again." The Viking took off to face the Flightmare, Astrid was about to go after him, but Hiccup held her back.

"Astrid. Don't." Astrid was about to speak but she then saw Finn raise his axe and roared out.

"Here I am you ungodly beast!! Fearless Finn Hofferson!! I've been waiting ten years for this moment!! Come get me if you dare!!" The Flightmare appeared and roared, Finn's eyes were scrunched up, not only was the dragon glowing brighter but he failed to notice the dragons mist seeping into him, causing him to freeze. And sadly the Hofferson lost his life.

The Dragon then vanished, destroying a mast off a ship and knocking over a torch and starting a fire, the villagers quickly got to work on the fire.

"It's Fearless Finn! He just... froze!" The villagers couldn't believe that one of their greatest froze in the middle of the battle.

Hiccup looked at Astrid and backed away from her slowly, she huffed and puffed with rage, she was about to throw the axe she had in hand, but Gobber stopped her. "It's gonna take a lot more than that wee axe Astrid." The blond girl looked up into the sky to hear the dragons roar and its light vanished into the dark clouds.

Astrid gripped the axe so tight it felt as if her knuckles would split open, her jaw tensed so tightly and tears streamed down her eyes and she let out a blood curdling scream.

(Hiccup's pov)

I sighed and looked in my mirror, that was the day I lost Astrid's friendship, she whipped herself into shape and trained for years, her reputation and popularity grew and she cast me aside, as if I never even existed to her.

I looked over to Toothless and smiled, at least the gods blessed me with his friendship, the first real friend I had since Astrid removed herself from me.

I looked outside to Mala's people at work and I decided to join them, I whistled for Toothless and my loyal dragon was up in seconds, I fed him a basket full of smoked salmon and Icelandic cod and I had roasted chicken and stew.

Once we had breakfast, I opened the door and smiled, Toothless looked me and tilted his head slightly, I smirked urged him to follow. "C'mon bud, lets start the day." Toothless nodded and followed me.

I really hope Astrid is doing alright.