Chapter 4: A new home

(Mala's pov)

After a week of preparation, the time finally came to depart for the Isle of Night, we watched from our ships as the lava flow destroy our home. Everyone looked down in grief, but also this was a time of celebration, because now we can all learn fly dragons. Night Furies to be exact, and Hiccup Haddock will teach us how. Thankfully our destination wasn't far, it was about a three hour journey, once we arrived, Hiccup cupped his hands around his mouth and did what appeared to be a dragon call. Within minutes Night Furies began landing on the beach to greet us, we were all shocked, we've heard rumors that all the Night Furies were killed off, but apparently they weren't.

I noticed one of them approach me and the dragon had beautiful sapphire like eyes and purred at me, I extended my hand out, the dragon sniffed my hand before pressing its snout to my palm. I exhaled while chuckling, everyone else took my example into action and began bonding with their own dragons. Hiccup walked up to me and placed his hand on my shoulder. "This one really likes you. It's a female by the way, I call her Shadow." I smiled at Hiccup and then turned toward Shadow, she gave me a smile and nuzzles into my stomach making me giggle.

"Shadow. I'm honored you've chosen me to bond with, and I promise I'll protect you with my life." I vowed to my new companion, Shadow bows her head and crooned gently, possibly saying she'd do the same for me, I placed my forehead against hers and we both closed our eyes, accepting our new bond.

Once everyone bonded with their own dragon, Hiccup showed us his home which could hold dragons inside along with his own personal forge to craft weapons and tools. Since Hiccup has been here longer I gave him the authority to command my people in the tasks that needed to be done. As the days turned into weeks we've built many homes, watchtowers, stables and feeding stations all over the island.

Hiccup also suggested we grow crops as well, which was a little bit tougher to accomplish since this island was mostly rock, however there were forests here and that meant wild game would dwell there. After five months we've accomplished so much already, plus thanks to the help of the Night Furies, I couldn't be more proud of my people.

I owe Hiccup Haddock more than my life, I owe him...

So much more.

My people treat him as if he's a demi-god, he saved us all from certain doom.

And I have a feeling the best is yet to come.