Chapter 36: Celebrations and captured

(Normal pov)

Pain. That was what he was feeling right now. Excruciating pain coming from below his left knee. Apart from that, his wrist was also in agony but thankfully, his dizziness from the fight had completely subsided. At least, that's what he felt even though he had his eyes close and there was nothing for him to gaze upon. Apart from his questionable sight, he was fully aware of his other senses ... especially with the faint smell of honey, distinct white roses and a touch of cinnamon and the warmth of something that was holding his hand. Slowly, he began to open his eyes, ready to close them if the world was still spinning around him.

"Hiccup?" he heard a voice call him and there was the warmth again on his bare shoulder. Wait. Bare shoulder?

He tried to speed up the process of getting up, but that only resulted in him falling back down on the pillow.

"Gothi, he's awake!" The voice next to him called out. The quick shuffling of feet was soon followed and he soon felt a new pair of hands grab his head and slowly raised him up while he felt another pair holding his shoulder and back as support.

"Open your eyes slowly, Hiccup." He began to recognize Astrid's voice. He obeyed her command and opened them slowly, gradually letting the dim light of the room reach his eyes. It was still a strain but it was more bearable than what he had experienced during the fight.

"How do you feel?" She asked.

He brought his uninjured hand to rub away the tiredness from his eyes, As he did, he felt the pairs of hands fall away, seeing that he could sit up by himself, but he still felt their presence close by in case he suddenly collapsed. "Better than I felt during the fight." He muttered, loud enough for them to hear. When he was sure he wasn't going to be blinded by the light or see the world spinning around him, he had his eyes completely open.

He saw the Elder Gothi near him, examining him closely and when he looked to his right, he saw Astrid smiling warmly at him, while checking him over. He proceeded to look at his surroundings. Judging by the semi-tight quarters and the many tens of jars and sealed cases on the many shelves in the room, he knew he must be in Gothi's house, in the sick bay. He noticed a few candles were lit, giving the room a dim lighting. It was for his comfort, as the Elder didn't want him to be overwhelmed by the light, judging by what she saw happened to him during the fight; how he kept blinking and closing his eyes.

He then proceeded to look over the damage he sustained in the battle with the Red Death. He was shirtless, and he noticed a few patches on his torso and chest; had to be covering the bruises. He looked at his left hand and everything below his elbow was wrapped in bandages. He found out that if he tried to rotate his wrist, it did hurt quite a bit, but not as much as the pain below his left knee.

"Your wrist was badly sprained when you and  Toothless touched down on the earth." Astrid informed him, noticing how his painful expression as he tried to move it. "Gothi applied a herbal mixture just below the bandages there which have to be replaced during check-ups."

"Okay..." He breathed out. He was still trying to catch his breath. "Is it night outside?"

"Yeah." She replied. Gothi gave him a gesture to wait and she walked out of the room and they heard the sound of her sorting through her jars of mysteries.

"How long have I been out?" He asked, not wanting to be in a situation of awkward silence.

"Two nights." She replied. As expected, he looked at her with a surprised expression. It would have almost been funny to see his confused expression but she kept it contained knowing the pain he was in. "You were out the night of the battle and last night." She clarified. She watched him stretch slowly, smiling in sympathy as she saw the strain he was under and the sighs he was making after a few cracks from his limbs. "You really had me worried you know." She told him, making him gaze at her.