15

Yanna

We were all sitting down at the table eating and laughing it up. Well not everyone, Marli was unusually quiet. She was just fine earlier, Aug was having it up with Brian so it couldn't have been any argument. She barely even touched her food and it's her favorite. I nudged her leg with my foot and sent her a questioning look. She sent me a faint smile and began eating. She's hiding something, I contemplated on whether to ask her now or later but we're all friends here. Nothing to hide right?

"Mar what's wrong with you."

Silence now filled the room and all eyes darted to her. I noticed August put his hand on her lap but she gently moved away.

"Nothing, I'm fine. Just tired."

She never looked up from her plate, I know she's lying.

"Marli..."

"Look Yanna I don't wanna talk about it, I'm gonna go get some air or something I'll be back later." She replied getting up and grabbed her keys out of the drawer.

"Nah baby don't go, just talk to ha." August pleaded.

"Mar what's wrong? Please, tell me."

She looked back at me with tears swelling up in her eyes along with a confused look plastered on her face.

"Titus... He's out."

With no further words she walked out.

What? He was supposed to be locked up how the hell did he manage to get out? This shit ain't adding up man.

"Yanna!" Brian yelled shaking me a little.

"What, August when did this happen?"

"Earlier when y'all was uptairs. We was coolin and ha phone kept goin off, she answered and it was ol dude. I took the phone and told the nigga what it was and hung that shit up."

"Bry gimme your phone."

I quickly took it from him and dialed Marli's number.

"Fuck." I groaned hearing her phone ringing from the living room.

"What ya callin fa? I think she needa take a breather, just to cool down fa a minute."

"No August, Marli isn't stable."

"What ya mean?"

"She didn't tell you?"

"The fuck? Tell me what?" He exclaimed furrowing his eyebrows.

Fucking great. I should've known she didn't.

"Marli hasn't been right ever since her mom kicked her out. The whole ordeal was a mess. She just couldn't handle it and she tried killing herself. She's been on antidepressants ever since. Titus beating her didn't help the situation either, she tried doing it again after the first couple times he hit her. I came home just in time to find her and make her throw that shit up. She hasn't been taking them lately and that's why we have to find her, get up let's go."

August ran his hand down his face before angrily getting up to retrieve his jacket and keys. We all gathered our belongings headed for the door when the locks started jiggling. Marli bursted through the door crying, struggling to catch her breathe.

"Baby what's wrong, calm down baby. Fuck man what happened!" August yelled holding her against his chest.

"He was downstairs by the car, I ran."

Marli could barely get her words out, she was hyperventilating.

"Mar, babe calm down its alright, did he touch you?" He asked examining her.