21

August

"I told y'all fa the millionth fuckin time he was beatin on ha when I came back to da house, this shit woulda neva happened if y'all fuck asses woulda kept this bitch locked up."

I was beyond fuckin heated. I knew I shoulda never left her by her fuckin self, somethin told me not to leave. This shit woulda never went down if these fuck niggas woulda kept this sick bitch in jail. I swear to God I was on the verge of killin this nigga. If Brian woulda never stopped me that nigga woulda been gone and quite frankly I don't give a damn. He deserves that shit, he betta be lucky I only fucked his face up. Got my baby up in this hospital bed and these muthafuckas questionin me.

"Sir, I need for you to calm-"

"Ain't no fuckin calmin down! My girlfriend is beat the fuck up in a hospital bed cause y'all fuck ass squad failed to keep this nigga locked up and y'all want me to calm down!? Fuck y'all!"

"Sir if you don't calm down you will be escorted out of the building." One of the officers interjected.

"I ain't goin no fuckin where so y'all can dead that shit and get the fuck out my face." I spat walking back into Marli's room.

I hated seein her hooked up to all these machines and shit. I hated that she had to go through that shit again. I hated the fact that I wasn't there to protect her. I'm her boyfriend, that's what I'm supposed to do, protect her and I couldn't. I pulled a chair up next to her bed silently praying. I pray to God she come out alright. I was brought out of my trance due to a faint knock on the door.

"Hey Aug, the police just left and the doctor is supposed to come in shortly." Yanna whispered.

Her eyes were red and puffy from crying so much. Seeing her so distraught made my heart ache even more. She's pregnant she don't need this type of stress either. Despite what anybody gotta say Marli comin wit me, she ain't safe by herself period. I held her hand and kissed it letting her know everything would be alright, whether she could hear me or not.

"Family of Marli Rae?" The doctor boasted.

We all rushed around him eager to hear what was going on with my baby.

"Well as history shows she's suffered a lot if bodily impacts. She has a slight concussion and she has 4 broken ribs, her previously broken ones weren't even fully healed yet. Aside from her injuries she will be okay, but another situation like this can land her in some serious trouble that will require surgery then months of bed rest. Please, whatever you can do to keep her out of harms way do it."

"Will she be okay to travel in like 2 weeks?"

"Travel?" Yanna questioned.

"She should be but I recommend she takes it really easy. Moving around will aid in healing her ribs but not too much activity. Absolutely no rigorous activity, other than that she'll be just fine. Just keep her away from that man." She warned.

"Oh I will, thank you ma'am."

She nodded before leaving the room.

"What the hell do you mean travel?"

"I'm takin ha wit me."

"Wait a minute now everybody just calm down and think about this shit."

"Think about what Brian. Y'all got a baby to worry about. She can't be on her own and y'all know dat. Ya heard what the doctor said, she can't suffer another altercation. I'm not finna let ha continue to deal wit this. She comin wit me until the tour is ova, when it's done she can move in."

"He's right babe, I guess I'll head up to the school to get her registered in online classes." Yanna mumbled walking up to her bedside caressing her face.

I noticed a tear slip from her face as she gazed upon babygirl.

"Baby don't cry." Brian whispered coming up to her, hugging her from behind.

"Look we all gotta be strong fa ha right na. She gon get through this, no doubt. Everything gon work out fine." I stated trying to convince them.

Or was I trying to convince myself? I ain't neva been in this position before but that's cause I ain't neva give a fuck about no broad. Marli ain't just a broad to me though, she somebody I'm startin to really care for. Shit maybe even love. So whatever I gotta do to ensure that she gon be straight imma do it.

A week later

Marli

"Mar, I'm going to the store you want anything in particular?" Yanna asked peering into my room.

"No, I'm okay."

She nodded disappearing into the hallway. I laid my head back down and continued to stare into space, something I've done since the day I was released from the hospital. Ever since the accident I haven't felt like myself. I feel useless, I feel like I'm dead in a way. It's like he just ripped me apart, the Marli it once knew was gone. Whenever I looked in the mirror I felt disgusted. Instead of the bright and shining Marli I'm used to seeing I was now faced with a lifeless battered figure and I'm to blame. I should've left when it all started but his manipulative nature kept me abroad. I don't want to be like this anymore, I don't want to have to live in fear of when he's coming back. I want to be able to just live and be happy with my life, but it's just so hard. However, I know laying here and sulking in my problems won't fix anything. I was brought out of my thoughts when August appeared at my door.

"Hey baby, I got you some Alfredo from Olive Garden, well my security had to. You'd be surprised at how many old people fuck wit me up in there." He announced chuckling.

I returned a smile as I motioned for him to come in.

"Thank you baby, just set it on the dresser I'll eat in a minute. I wanna talk to you for a minute."

Nodding he followed instructions and made his way over to me. After removing his jacket he laid down gently wrapping his arms around me. I laid my head on his chest thinking of what to say.

"I'm not really sure how to go about saying this but I'll start off by saying thank you. In this short amount of time you've been here for me in so many ways and I'm just beyond grateful for that. I honestly don't think I'd be here if it weren't for you caring for me the way that you do. August I know it may be soon and I'm not just saying this because of what happened. I can honestly say that I love you. I pray this doesn't scare you off but that's how I feel. You've stuck with me through my ultimate worst, told me I was beautiful when I thought otherwise, and fought for me when I was defenseless. You've just completely been there for me and I love you for that."

"Ya know I'm glad ya said that cause I love you more than I can even begin to explain. No matter what ya go through ya always pull through. Ya strong baby, ain't no doubt about that. It may be hard right now but I know ya gon be alright imma make sure of that. I can't even believe I'm sayin this right na but baby ya got my heart and that's real. I'm gon always be here fa ya and imma always protect ya. I love you Marli Ava Nicole Rae and ain't nun gon change that."

I didn't realize I was crying until he began kissing ever tear that dared to fall. From this point on I knew I would always have August. Lord knows I'm scared, but I'm willing to take that risk with him.