27

Marli

We had arrived back to Atlanta and I was nervous as hell. Before returning home we were gonna visit my mom. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd come back here. It makes it a little better that August is with me, but I'm still nervous. I just pray I don't get mad all over again and black out. Lord knows I'm still mad at her, but I want a relationship with my mom. I need her. I pulled into my old driveway and admired the house. Everything still looks the same. The rusty red bricks, bright green shrubs, and the small vibrant garden. It's almost as if I never left. I noticed two cars in the driveway meaning my Nana was here as well. Thank God. I've always remained in touch with my Nana and sister, them being here may just make things better. Snapping out of my thoughts I grabbed my bag and looked over at a sleeping August. He looks so adorable. I took my phone out snapping a picture before waking him up.

"Baby wake up, we're here." I said lightly shaking him.

He groaned before fluttering his eyes open and sitting up. He admired the house just like I did before taking my hand and looking at me.

"Ya ready?"

I laid my head against the headrest and exhaled. I have no choice but to be ready. There's no turning back now.

"Relax, everything's gonna be iight." He assured kissing my hand.

I nodded and proceeded out of the car. My heart pounded as we walked up the never ending pathway. August pulled me close to him flashing me a smile. We finally arrived at the front door, but I couldn't knock so August took it upon himself to do so. After a few moments the door finally opened and my mom appeared before me. She hasn't aged a bit. Her skin still young and vibrant and her long jet black hair still ran down her back. She looked at me with tears in her eyes before embracing me in a warm hug.

"I missed you baby."

"I missed you more mama." I croaked.

After a few more seconds of sulking she pulled away and admired me.

"You are so beautiful mija... Who is this handsome young man?" She questioned shifting her attention to August.

"My boyfriend August." I said proudly.

"Well don't just stand there come here." She said laughing and pulling him into a warm hug as well.

They seemed to hit it off kinda already. After pulling away my mom took my hand and led us into the house. I smelled an aroma of different foods and I knew they were throwing down in the kitchen. She led us into the room where I saw my sister texting away on her phone.

"Get your big head ass off the phone."

"Mar!!" She screamed snapping her head in my direction hopping off the couch. She practically knocked me over jumping into my arms. We held each other for what seemed like forever before pulling away. I really missed her crazy ass.

"You're so big."

"You haven't been home in years, duh!"

"I missed you Mar." She confessed hugging me once more.

I wrapped my arms back around her feeling guilty as ever. I should've never left her. She wasn't included in the bullshit I was going through with my mom, but in a way I was treating her as if she were by leaving.

"Tay I'm so sorry."

"I know why you left..." She admitted looking up at me.

"We'll talk about this later."

She nodded as she grabbed my hand leading me into the kitchen where I assume everyone was. I laughed when I saw my grandma lifting up August's shirt gasping at how skinny he was.