• twenty four

Don't give up now
chances are
your best kiss
your hardest laugh
and your greatest day
are still yet to come.

Peter held his breath, a lone tear sliding down his cheek as he stood on the other side of the Hospital Wing's door, listening to James' each and every word

Peter held his breath, a lone tear sliding down his cheek as he stood on the other side of the Hospital Wing's door, listening to James' each and every word. James was willing to risk it all for the girl because he truly, wholeheartedly loved her. And Peter knew, he could feel it deep in his soul, that James' plan was going to succeed. Because it was as clear as day that James Potter and Alexis Riddle were made for one another. And that poor Peter Pettigrew wasn't even in the race.

If he could have it his way, he would ditch his friends for the girl's love. But Alexis only ever saw him as shy, dorky Peter. He wasn't funny like James, or athletic like him. He wasn't brave or charming, nor did he possess the brains and natural talents. He didn't captivate her the way James did. He didn't make her laugh the way James did, nor did he made her day with his mischievous ways or brightened her mood with his sole presence. No matter how hard he tried, Peter knew he was nothing compared to James. Because even if she couldn't feel it, Alexis Riddle was in love with James Potter. And that was enough to break poor Peter's heart.

His thoughts and silent tears were interrupted when he heard heavy footsteps approaching from the other side of the door. Scurrying to hide, Peter saw James leave Alexis' side and for once, he didn't leave some sort of guard with her. Peter knew he had to stand down and give her up, but the idea of having some alone time with her, even if she was unconscious, was too tempting. He hesitantly sneaked into the room, and although he knew he was not breaking any rules, he still felt like he needed to be extremely cautious.

Alexis looked like she was in a peaceful sleep, with no trace of pain or discomfort in her face. Peter had visited her in the Hospital Wing before, but just like in their tutoring sessions, Remus had taken it upon himself to somewhat monitor Peter's interactions with the girl. But now he didn't have to pretend he wasn't captivated by the girl's beauty or keep a fair distance away from her for James' comfort. No, right now it was only Alexis and him.

He was by her side now, holding the same hand James had kissed no more than five minutes ago. Peter struggled to maintain his composure, having never been able to be so close and intimate with the girl.

He wondered how James felt. How did it feel to have a natural, wordless and passionate intimacy with her. How did it feel to stare right into those green eyes from up close, and have them stare right back at yours. He wondered how her hands felt wandering his body. Did James know how lucky he was to have been blessed with the sound of her moans? When his name escaped her lips in a gasp, did he feel his heart stay still and his veins pumping with adrenaline the way Peter imagined it? He wondered how James felt knowing he possessed the ability to give her spontaneous kisses. Place his lips against hers and make her come undone. Did James thank God or the universe and the stars every night for giving him everything Peter could only long for?