• forty seven

And then it happens...
One day you wake up and you're in this place.
You're in this place where everything feels right.
Your heart is calm. Your soul is lit. Your thoughts are positive.
Your vision is clear. Your faith is stronger than ever.
And you're at peace.
At peace with where you've been. At peace with what you've been through.
And at peace with where you're headed...

(Picture of dress at the end of the chapter)

A book landed on the floor with a loud thud, adding to the piles of books already surrounding the black leather couch. A red, thick book with Latin inscriptions flew from the shelf in Tom's office and effortlessly landed in Alexis' hands, making the girl lay back down on the couch and resume her reading. The scent of coffee lingered in the air, consequence of the five mugs of coffee that had been served so far that morning. It was eleven o'clock and she had found no sign of human life in the Carrow residence, giving her no choice but to ask the house elves for breakfast and retrieve to her brother's office with an unhealthy amount of coffee. She had absolutely no clue as to where everyone had gone off to and eventually noted that it was better that way. She wanted to enjoy the bliss of her ignorance.

It wasn't until two hours later that she had her first human interaction of the day, with Tom sneaking inside the room with the silence and precision of a cat. Could've almost gone unnoticed if it wasn't for his unnerving presence that alerted everyone around him of his arrival. "Doors exist so you can knock on them," she commented with nonchalance, her eyes still moving along with the words of the book.

"This is my office."

Alexis picked up her mug and vaguely gestured to the mess around her. A mess she had created. "It looks more like my office now."

Tom neither objected nor entertained her comments, instead choosing to focus his attention on the many books surrounding the girl. Some of them contained no title, many of them written in foreign dialects, all of them he knew and could recite by memory. "Have you learned anything with this?" He sat on the other end of her couch and reached for some of the books in the floor.

"How to make a person's organs melt with a flick of a wand." She raised her eyebrows as she recalled the sinister curse.

"And?"

"How to cover a person's body with third degree burns in a fraction of a second."

"Good girl," he smirked with pride, an almost cat-like smile. Alexis couldn't help but notice how even when her brother performed what could be considered as warm regards, such as a smile or a laugh, there was always something odd about it, something sinister laying behind. "That book you're reading is in Latin."