• forty two

It's a lonely thing,
protecting a breakable heart.

It's a lonely thing,protecting a breakable heart

If there's anything I can do to help

After an excruciatingly long week of nothingness and numbness, those words echoed in Alexis' head when she least expected them to. They came out of nowhere, always followed by the most disturbing thoughts that genuinely made her wonder if she was losing her mind. Of course there were plenty of things Tom could help her with, the problem was that no sane person would ever consider those possibilities, let alone plan them.

Alexis wanted to fool herself into believing time was all she needed to heal. That all she needed was a little bit of patience because eventually she would return to her old ways. Courageous and vivid Alexis would return, it was only a matter of time, she told herself repeatedly. But time wasn't in her favor. Time wasn't healing. Time had left an exposed wound. Time was making the little humanity she had left on her leave her body. Time was going by with each passing day and things were only getting darker.

Time brought a doubt with it, a question that infiltrated the Slytherin's head day in and day out. A question everybody pondered ever since they first crossed paths with Alexis Riddle. Was she a good person?

There were some optimistic people who would gladly tell you what an admirable person Alexis was, always happy to call her any synonyms of the word hero they could think of. And then there was the people that always side-eyed her, always kept their distance, were always skeptical about her loyalties. And the latter did so with good reason because even Alexis herself was beginning to question her own loyalties.

She never claimed to be a good person, people simply assumed she was because it made them feel safe. It made them feel like they had the upper hand in this war. That they had found a weapon to use against Voldemort. But she never signed a contract nor did she discuss the terms, she simply went with what her gut told her, and unbeknownst to the Wizarding World, her gut was telling her that her loyalty should've always been with her brother.

She didn't want to admit it. Kept fooling herself about it, kept giving in to the good-and-evil spectrum everyone lived by, kept thinking good old Alexis was coming back. And let's not be pessimistic, Alexis had been improving. She'd had a good week in which she kept her emotions under control and acted accordingly, not reacting to Hogwarts' new couple, not making a scene. She had been improving, spending time with her friends and making time for Josh. She had been trying to get better as she had once tried to be better.

But then that letter arrived.

Alexis stared at it from the corner of the room, trembling as she hugged her legs, her eyes glossy with fear and doubt. She kept running the palms of her hands over her jeans, trying to get rid of the excess of sweat in them. She didn't recall how she got there, she just knew she had found her way to the floor once she finished reading the letter's contents. An exhausted Saskia delivered the letter to Alexis as she was making her way out of Herbology, relieved that the last class of the week was done and unsuspecting about how her day was about to be ruined.