• thirty six

Souls don't speak,

yet ours spoke fluently.

"You are absolutely out of your mind, James Potter!"

Their laughs echoed across the grounds as they ran without a care in the world, completely indifferent to the fact it was way past their curfew and they'd be in serious trouble if anyone was to find out they had just gotten back from Hogsmeade. James led the way to the Quidditch pitch, running at full speed, refusing to let the night die just yet. It simply happened to be one of those poetic nights where the clear skies allowed the stars to shine bright, alluding a certain sentimentalism to take over. One of those nights where you swear you're trapped inside a James Cameron film, everything around you is happening in slow motion and your soul suddenly feels lighter. As if you're watching the scene unfold through a lens. Making it more beautiful, more poetic.

Suddenly laughter sounded like the most beautiful of symphonies, the grass against their skin left behind a tingling sensation, and their messy hair and pounding hearts made adrenaline pump through their veins at full speed, making them feel as if they were one with all wild things. A gentle reminder that they were young and reckless, and they had to make every second count because they're never getting it back. The maybe even cliché feeling that that precise moment in time would be one they would carry with themselves for the rest of their lives. The feeling of eternity, of infinity.

The wind caressed their skin, reminding them that these were their glory days and they had to live them, enjoy them, breathe them, because they'll never be as free and in love as they were that night, laying under the stars in the middle of an empty Quidditch pitch with their chest rising and falling rhythmically and a dazed look on their eyes.

"Why were we even running?" Alexis' words came out strained from her lack of breath and the laughs she was trying to contain. Her eyes landed on James just as he let out a hearty laugh, closing his eyes and tilting his head back.

The spur of the moment didn't allow them to recall exactly when their lips connected heatedly. It was almost instinctive, the way their bodies rejected any distance between them, always longing to be closer, and closer. She held herself up with one arm and draped the other across his torso, pinning him down against the ground.

"There's only one heart in this body," whispered James as he ran the back of his hand across her cheek, using her close proximity to admire all of her beautiful features. "Have some mercy on me."

And then the most beautiful of sounds echoed through the field, the love of his life's giggles filled his ears and warmed his soul. She laid down besides him, both of them looking up at the sky with goofy smiles and racing hearts.

"What are we going to name our kids, then?" James blurted out, the glint in his eyes suiting the mischievous smirk playing on his lips. "How many were we having? Ten?"