• forty eight

I tried to write
about the mountains and the sea
but they became twisted metaphors
for you and me

I tried to write about the mountains and the seabut they became twisted metaphors for you and me

"Alexis," James breathed out. His eyes were wide as he took in her presence, his frigid behavior clearly showing he hadn't been ready to face her either. He briefly gazed over her outfit with furrowed brows but didn't question her on her choice of attire. A nervous smile played on his lips as he stuttered to find the words to say. "I—uh—I was—Security has been harsher ever since—ever since Marion."

They both flinched at the mention of the name. Not the best conversation starter, and by the way James scrunched his face, he knew that as well. The tension rapidly became overbearing, and ridiculously awkward, with the both of them still hiding under the cloak, avoiding eye contact when they were standing a mere few feet apart.

Alexis took the opportunity to try to read his body language, wanting to end some of her doubts once and for all. She needed to know how James felt about her after the occurrences of the previous day. Was he angry? Did he blame her? The thought of James becoming her antagonist was unbearable, and it would mean that her life and her friendship with the Marauders would certainly get complicated. But James was all over the place, as disheveled and bewildered as she was, making it impossible for her to read him. "Um," she scratched the back of her head, "What are you doing out here then?" She asked softly, cringing at how shy and bashful she was acting around the boy she knew so well.

"I've been—" he stopped to clear his throat, "—I've been coming out here the last couple of nights," he chuckled nervously followed by anxiously rocking back and forth. "Just—just waiting."

Alexis' heart dropped, which was not a pleasant feeling when said heart was also beating painfully fast, genuinely making her chest ache. "James," she whispered with a soft, trembling voice, "she's not coming back." Her eyes welled up and she balled her hands into fists, trying to stop them from shaking. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, mentally cursing herself from probably saying too much, and to James of all people.

"I know," he uttered, swallowing hard before finally getting the courage to look her in the eye. "It's not her I was waiting for."

There it was. The warmth in those hazel eyes, gone for far too long. A warmth that, as much as she tried to deny it, her soul had feverishly missed. But Alexis had made up her mind long before she stepped foot in the castle, she was not going to throw her entire character development away just because a glint returned to those hazel eyes. A pair of eyes that no longer had the same power over her, she constantly told herself, that no longer held her captive. She learned her lesson: she was no one's to claim. She learned, and learned, and learned. She held her head higher with a sudden confidence and looked at James Potter right in the eye, looked at the boy who had tossed her aside like she was nothing but a vile piece of trash. Her hands were still shaky and her heart was about to burst out but her composure wasn't going to falter. Not now, not ever, and not because of him.