Chapter 29: Misunderstanding

Third Person's POV

It was already seven pm and Chaerin was still inside her room. She stayed at the exact same spot where she was ever since she came there. She was sitting beside the biggest window of her room on the dusty pink carpet.

She did not change clothes or even fixed herself up. She just stayed there. She would think about how could her parents be so unfair and do this and what could happen if the engagement wasn't stopped. Then she would cry and cry until she ends up staring blankly outside the huge window of her room.

When Chaerin heard a knock on her door, she turned her head and softly said, "Come in."

The door opened revealing her sister.

Chaesoo mustered up a cheery smile as she closed the door behind her.

Chaerin, on the other hand, just stared at her sister. It was a bit hard because half of her torso and her neck was twisted in an effort to get a glimpse of her sister.

"Hey," Chaesoo greeted, still smiling. But her smile was not enough to completely cover the worried look in her eyes and on her face.

"Hey..." Chaerin replies, almost whispering. She turned the half of her body once again towards the window.

"It's dinner time, sis. Let's go downstairs," Chaesoo spoke softly. She knew that her sister would become hardheaded on her this time but she would understand. Because if she was the one chosen to be married to Chanyeol, she would probably feel the same. "Mom and dad are waiting for you."

Chaerin let's out a sigh. "Did they... Stop the engagement?"

Chaesoo pursed her lips together. "...No," she answered.

"Then tell them that I won't be eating dinner," Chaerin replied, not taking her eyes off from outside the window. Knowing that her parents really has to intention to stop the engagement just pains her. She cannot believe that they could stand seeing and knowing that their daughter was getting heartbroken and sad. Her eyes were started to water again.

Chaesoo sighed. "Chaerin, you must eat your dinner. You will starve and it is not good for your health," she told her sister. She made sure that she didn't sound strict, but more concerned.

"Well..." Chaerin took a deep breath. "...according to what I have read, eating three meals a day is surely healthy and important..."

"Yes... That is why you have to--"

"But..." Chaerin continues, cutting her older sister off. "...eating two meals a day is even healthier," she finished off.

Chaesoo's brows furrowed as she let out a small laugh. "...how do you say so, sis?"

"You see... Our stomach and intestines works on digesting our food. Meaning if I miss a meal, it would be fine because I am giving the organs their time to rest," Chaerin replies wittily.

"...and your point is?" Chaesoo asks.

"It is fine for me to not eat dinner," Chaerin answers.

"Chaerin..."

"Unnie, I need some time alone," Chaerin said softly. "...I know you understand... Because you know that if you are in my situation, you would feel the same way too," she adds.

Chaesoo stayed silent yet approached they younger.

"...I cannot believe that mom and dad could do such thing to me... I cannot believe that they cannot understand the way I feel... It is like, they don't care about my feelings at all... It is like I am nothing to them..." Chaerin starts crying once again. "...They are using me, unnie... They are using me to save our companies... But don't they know how hard it is? They can even bear to see and know that their daughter is hurting on the inside and the pain is slowly eating her up... I thought that parents should understand their children... At this point... They don't sound like my parents anymore..."