Chapter 1: Right Now

Lyla Rose Brooks is my name. I was eleven when this whole thing started. I guess you could say I'm just a normal person. I have light skin and long brown hair. I got my small thinner noes and my smile from my mom, my bottom lip being bigger then my top lip which added to my look of innocence. My eyes were a forest green with hints of brown in them. I got those along with my slightly defined jawline from my dad. I didn't have anything medical wrong with me and I was always on the healthy side of things.

My family was practically set for the apocalypse. My mom was a pharmacist. When it started she grabbed as much as she could from the pharmacy. She was smart like that. We had bandages and rubbing alcohol and all sorts of pills from her. My dad was a hunter so we had all of his guns and knives.

Life was easy for me before all of this. I went to Athens Christian and I was the smart kid in school. My looks made me look simple, but my smarts made me seem extraordinary- at least for a sixth grader.

They didn't think we had to go to Atlanta, so we didn't. Everyone else did though, including all of my friends and most of my family. I wanted to go because I knew it would be safest but my parents thought it'd be best if we learned how to deal with it ourselves.

We stayed at our house until the munchers got too close and we had to leave. We made it pretty far all together. When the world decided to end, the Athens bike race was about to start so we took some bikes and headed towards Atlanta. It was dead and the munchers took everything. We weren't sure if anyone was left. With being out in the wilderness dad was able to teach me everything he knew about hunting and I was thankfully really good with it. He let me keep half the knives, as well as my mom with the medicine just in case anything happened.

And then it did.

Dad ended up getting bit. I'd rather not get into the details. We found a house to stay in and comfort him until we knew it'd be over. After he died we knew what had to be done but we couldn't. My mom took the supplies he had and we kept going, leaving him there to turn.

Not long after that mom started getting sick. It wasn't because of a flu or something though. She said it was something in her stomach and she came to the conclusion that her appendix was inflamed. She kept taking the meds to soothe the excruciating pain she was going through. One night something happened. She must've took to much or her appendix finally gave out because when I woke up she was starting to turn. I had no choice but to end it for her, before she ended it for me.

It was the scariest thing I'd ever done. after processing what had happened I realized I was alone. I grabbed what was left from mom. I had bandages, six knives, a knife sharpener, two cans of tuna, a bag of stale cereal, a full bottle of water (which I got from combining what was left of hers with mine), a pen, gauze, and a blanket. The only clothes I had on me were Jeans, a Mickey Mouse t shirt, and a blue flannel, including my undergarments which were starting to be too small for my growing body.

After looking at her and crying for a while I stood up. It was time for me to go. I walked for a while, not really sure where I was or where I was going but I didn't have a lot of food or water so I needed more. Dad's guns ran out of bullets, but I decided to keep it just in case.

A while back I saw a person. They looked human but they didn't look friendly. Why else would they be out by themselves? I thought they might be like me but it wasn't worth the risk.

After winter ended I was able to move more. I found a town eventually that was abandoned. It had stores but it also had munchers. I was able to push past them.