Chapter 40: All A Lie

I heard the door open and I looked to see Carl. I wiped my eyes, turned around, and kept stretching.

"You were crying?" He asked from behind me. I couldn't tell if it was genuine or not. I kept stretching.

"Yeah I was." I said normally. He sighed lightly and sat on the bed and I turned away from him. I was still on the verge of tears. "What's wrong?" I asked not looking at him.

"Nothing." He replied simply.

"I'm sorry but that's bullshit." I retorted as I stopped stretching. What did I have to loose at this point?

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked agitated.

"Exactly what I said. You are always angry nowadays. You won't talk to me and you say there's nothing wrong even though there obviously is." I explained standing up.

"Even if there is something wrong, why do you care so much?" He asked looking at me.

"Do you really not get it? It's obvious, Carl! I love you, that's why I care." I tried not to raise my voice but it was hard.

"Well you shouldn't." He responded shaking his head.

"It's not like I can turn it off." I scoffed lightly. "Why would you want me to stop?"

"Because every second I'm with you, I feel like I can't be there to protect you!" He said standing up.

"Why?! Because you don't have an eye? That's dumb okay! You are still strong, you are still brave!" I explained now speaking louder.

"I'm not!" He said as he looked at me angry then backed up. "I'm not. After I knew you got shot too I was scared. I couldn't protect you from Ron of all people."

"That's not a good example. We both made it out anyway." I shook my head lightly.

"But after everything that's happened how do you still love me?" He asked shaking his head.

"Because after everything that's happened, not for a second did I think that you weren't gonna make it. Yet after everything you are still so unsure. I believe in you, doesn't that mean something?" I asked shaking my head.

"It does, but I can't accept it myself." He looked down upset. "I won't stop thinking you deserve more because I know it's true."

"Carl stop." I said walking over to him. "I know I deserve you. You should know why. I've been through everything. A fire, an apocalypse, a bullet wound, and losing what I loved the most, but you know something?" I asked as I looked at him and he looked at me. "You've been through all of it too. You've been through some worse things and through it all you were able to get through it, and be better. This time shouldn't be different." I said as I held his wrist lightly.

"It is. Because this time I'm going through it with you." He said looking at me.

I let out a small chuckle. "Seeing the downs lets me know that you feel the same. Remember when I showed you the burns?" He nodded. "After that, you took care of me. You looked after me more remember?" He nodded. "This is the same. It's my turn to watch over you until you can get your strength back up. It's still there you just hid it. It'll come back, I know it."

"What makes you so sure?" He asked not sure himself.

"Because we always figure it out." I smiled lightly trying to convince myself just as much as him. "And after everything that's happened to us you can't push me away. You're so worried that something will happen that you're still near me but not talking." I shook my head. "You know deep down what you're feeling and so do I. That's why I know after everything that you are still there. You're worried, but that's what keeps you brave."