Chapter 42: Never Say Die

I felt my eyes closing. My heart rate was dropping and everything was slow. Then everything was quiet.

I opened my eyes and I was in the bed still but it was different. I wasn't in pain. I looked to my hands to see my mom and dad on either side.

"Hey Ly." Dad said as he held my hand. "You're with us now." He smiled to me as my mom smiled too.

"We missed you." My mom smiled to me.

---

Carl POV

"You're good and brave and-" She said closing her eyes. Everyone was quiet. She let out one more breath and there was a smile on her face.

I started crying. Dad's hand was on my shoulder. I looked at her and held her face lightly. I took out my knife and looked at her. "I love you." I said quietly before kissing her forehead and then putting the knife in her head. I took it out and put it back in my pocket.

I looked at her hands. 2 dash marks on her left hand and 115 on her right. She was a fighter and she fought until she couldn't.

I looked up to Michonne who cried looking at her and I looked to Enid who let out a few tears for her best friend. I looked to the nightstand to see the stack of letters with a letter on top.

"I have to pass these out. She wanted me to give them to the people." I said as I let go of Lyla and went for the papers. I looked at the top one.

"To read aloud." I said as I read at the letter. "Each letter has a name and you know what that means. If I guessed correctly, Carl is reading this." I read as I felt myself tearing up again. "If so you know what you need to do. If not, give the letters out when it's time for each person. At the funeral-" I started as I couldn't read the rest. I started crying again.

I looked at Michonne and she hugged me lightly crying too. She grabbed the paper and looked at it. "At the funeral give them to each person. I wanted to be poetic, can you blame me?" Michonne read as she let go of me. "Anyway, I'll stop before everyone is sobbing. I'm looking at you from wherever I am. Take care of yourselves, Lyla Rose." Michonne finished before putting the paper down.

---

Lyla's POV

I sat up and looked around. "You're all here." I smiled looking around. There was Andrea and Andre in her arms.

"Hey." I smiled as I got up and looked at her. I hugged her tightly and she did so back.

"You did right by them." She nodded. "Better than I did."

I smiled to her and looked to Andre. I took him in my arms. "Your mommy misses you." I said as he put his hand on my cheek with a smile.

---

Michonne,

I don't know where to start. You've been the greatest friend I could ask for. You took care of me and made sure to do right by me, even if we had a rocky start. You have raised me, and for that I'm especially grateful. Without you I wouldn't have made it far. You deserve the best life and hopefully you can find that with Rick. I love you Mich, please remember that.

Lyla Rose

Rick,

You took me in. It took you a while to see me as one of the good ones, but you did and I couldn't be more grateful. You've lead the whole group to safety and made the best of what we had. You are a great leader and a good man. I hope the best for you and the group.