Chapter 36: Bonus Points

The next day came around. Rick got us up and told us he was gonna teach Ron how to shoot today. Ron came to him and asked him to learn to protect his family. I hoped his mind set was better when we saw him again.

Ron showed up at the house and we headed to the shooting area. Rick showed him the basic stuff about the gun and started giving him a scenario.

"There's gonna be a person in front of you with a gun pointed at you. You have to act fast before they do." Rick explained looking to him.

"You're gonna be scared. You will." Carl said saying the situation how it is.

"You have to put your worry away, if even for just a second so you can do what you need to to live." I explained as he nodded.

"Your body is gonna tense and you'll want to act fast and pull the trigger as soon as you can but you'll miss and you'll be dead. You get it up to your eye." Rick demonstrated.

"You gotta be strong enough to wait for your moment." Carl explained. I noticed Ron had failed to really make eye contact with either of us but I could tell he was calm at the moment.

"Can I uh?" He asked looking to the gun as Rick handed it to him and he got into position.

"Your finger doesn't touch the trigger unless you're ready to shoot." Rick explained as he looked at Ron's form. He put his finger on the trigger and it clicked. "Keep that one with you so you can get a feel of what it's like to carry it around."

"Can I shoot it?" Ron asked looking at Rick as he looked at his own gun. "Like down at the walkers?"

Rick explained how it'd be dangerous and it'd draw more walkers towards the gate. Ron tried to convince him and Rick stayed quiet. Ron eventually convinced himself remembering that we shouldn't waste bullets.

"Just want to learn more." He shrugged lightly.

"You will." Carl nodded twice. I smiled lightly to Ron and he glanced at me then walked away. He was still upset I could tell.

"You two go back to the house and watch Judy for a while. Carol will be back later to take over for you." He explained to us as he grabbed some guns. I nodded and Carl and I did what he said.

"She's asleep." Carol said nodding to us. "She'll probably wake soon and then she'll be hungry but I'll be back by then hopefully."

"Okay." I nodded as Carol left. We sat for a while and I eventually got Judith when she woke up. After bringing her down Carol had already came back.

"Wanna go take a walk?" Carl asked as I nodded.

"I'll grab my bag. Put some comics in it." I smiled lightly as I went upstairs and did so. I left everything that was usually in there and headed back down. We walked down the street holding hands. We read comics for a while but eventually we decided to go to the wall and listen.

I held his hand as we walked. "How long you think it'll take for them to just leave?" I asked looking at him.

"Probably a couple weeks. Especially since they are doing even more reinforcements." He said as our hands swung lightly.

"Yeah. It'll be nice when it's quieter." I said as we got closer to the fence. We started walking along it not talking much, just listening to the groans.

We looked up and saw a set of green balloons go by. "Someone made it." I smiled lightly at them.

We started to hear creeping and one of the towers from the outside was falling towards the fence. Dammit. I looked to Carl and we ran for the house.