Chapter 37: Traffic of Nightmares

I adjusted the hat as Carl walked back over. "Do you want it back?" I asked as I looked at him.

"Wear it for now. I'll take it when we get to a safe place." He nodded to me. "Besides it looks good on you." I smiled lightly before Michonne walked in.

"It'll be dark soon. We need to get out of here fast." Michonne explained to us.

"We're ready." Jessie said walking over to Michonne, Carl, and I who were looking for a good time to go.

"I'll get Judy." Rick said as Gabriel stopped him.

"Rick I want you to know that I won't give up no matter what happens out there." Gabriel nodded.

"I know." Rick replied before he got Judith and gave her to Carl. He held her under the blanket. Rick headed down followed by Carl then me. Michonne stayed in the back.

There were walkers all over. I hadn't had to deal with this many near me before and I was scared. We were all holding hands. I held onto Carl's while he held on to Ricks. He had Judith strapped around him.

Jessie was on my other hand and she was shaking. I didn't look behind me. I just kept moving forward. We might've smelt like walkers but if we made sound, if we did anything too human-like they'd try us for taste.

It was so loud. I could barely hear myself think. They're were so many walkers on the streets.

It was the traffic of nightmares.

We kept walking towards the armory but Rick turned. We got somewhere with no walkers- by the pond.

"New plan. A few flares won't help get the walkers away. We won't go to the armory. We'll head to the quarry and get the vehicles there. We will leave and come back and then decide how we will deal with things from there." He explained.

"Okay but Judith to the quarry and back?" Jessie shook her head lightly.

"I'll take her. I'll keep her safe in my church til you get back from the quarry and get the walkers away." Gabriel said with a nod.

"Can you do this?" Michonne asked Gabriel seriously.

"I'm supposed to." He responded with a nervous but assuring smile. "I have to. I will."

Carl gave Gabriel Judith and he kept her quiet.

"Sam-" Jessie started.

"No." He responded.

"It'll be safer. You have to."

"I'm not leaving you."

"Sam." Jessie said again.

"Mom I'm not." He responded. "I can keep going. I can. Please. Let's just go." He begged her. I would've made him stay. He didn't really accept what was going on. He would be so much safer if he just-

"Fine." Jessie answered him with a nod.

"I'm going to keep her safe." Gabriel told Rick.

"Thank you." Rick nodded as Gabriel walked away to the church.

We started again. I was behind Jessie and next to Carl again. We were walking towards the gate. It was getting dark out which for some reason made the walkers louder. Everyone was really sweaty.

We got to a point and Sam stopped walking right next to a lot of them.

"Sam." Jessie said very quietly. "Come on. Come on. Let's go."

"You can do it." Rick added looking to him as he started crying. I looked where he was. A little boy walker. It must've been his friend.

Everyone was convincing him. Ron told him to look at his mom and go. Rick and Sam told him he could get through it.