Chapter 39: Couldn't Do Anything

Another couple weeks went by. Alexandria was doing great. They were expanding the walls and Maggie, who announced she was pregnant, decided to start growing crops. We had to ration food but it had been worse for most of us so we didn't have a problem with it.

My foot was doing better. It was gonna take another 2 months to completely heal, but only if I was careful. I could walk without the brace but I had a little bit of a limp.

Enid, Carl, and I went outside together still. It was harder for me to get over nowadays but we still went. We hadn't had a teacher lately either so we kept to ourselves. Carl and I took care of Judith most of the time.

He still wasn't okay. He pretended like he was, especially in front of Rick and Michonne. There were times we'd be outside and he'd be zoned out sitting there.

He wasn't worried by walkers when they'd come. He just wanted to take care of them. It was like he wanted to kill all of them. I knew he could tell I knew something was up, but he wouldn't talk about it, and I wasn't going to ask. I just hoped he could get through it.

I had been rewriting my book for Rosita. She had taught me a lot about surviving and ways of attacking which I'd been adding to the book. I was almost out of room.

Carl was throwing a tennis ball against the door. I tried to tune out the noise.

"Carl." I heard from outside. It was Michonne's voice. Thank God someone called him. I was almost going crazy.

"Denise says it's PT!" He responded as he stopped for a second. I looked up to him and he turned to me. "What?" He asked angsty.

"Come out here I couldn't hear you!" Rick said as he looked at me with his eyebrow furrowed and he walked out. I looked at him and sighed lightly. It hurt that he wasn't being honest with me, but I didn't want to bother him about it. But to be honest, it was bothering me.

He came back in the room. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah." I nodded as I got to the wall and started climbing.

"Aren't we supposed to wait?" He asked.

"Just us today." I replied as I kept going. I asked Enid to stay back this time. I wanted to talk to Carl about everything and I didn't want her wrapped up in the middle. Besides, she had been telling me that she was done going out all the time.

We got out and started walking. We went towards the usual spot and there was a blue bag on the ground. I stopped and picked it up to reveal a paper underneath. I looked at the paper and the ink was too smudged to read.

"I wonder what it said." I said looking at him as I held the flimsy wet paper.

"It doesn't matter now." He shrugged lightly.

"Well it must've meant something to the person who wrote it. This doesn't look old so it could be recent. Someone else could be out here." I said as we kept walking.

"We know we aren't alone. Those people came and other people died." He said as I looked at him sadly.

"How come you always wanna come out here?" I asked as I folded the paper.

"Cause I want to be a kid. Don't you?" He asked still looking forward.

"We aren't kids anymore. We haven't been and we can't be again." I explained calmly. We kept walking and we sat down against the log. He grabbed a comic and I wrote in the extra notebook.

We were quiet, like usual. Not after long we heard crunching. "Let's get in the tree." I said as I stood up.

"No I'll go take care of it." He said standing up.