Chapter 15: Black

"You didn't wake me up." I heard Carl say as he walked towards me.

"You thought I would?" I asked looking at him with my arms crossed. He stayed quiet. "You needed sleep. The most action out here was a piece of paper being blown by the wind from opening a door." I smiled.

"Fine." He sighed lightly. "I'll take over now. The little kids are starting to ask for you."

"Okay. Let me know if you need anything." I replied with a small smile. He nodded once and walked down the hallway. He was stubborn which was something we had in common.

I walked back to the room and waited there for a while mostly reading to the little ones. Carl ran in and called me over. "Can you keep watch? My dad wants me to help with the fence since the walker build up grew."

"Yeah." I nodded as I walked out. "He got this just in case." Carl said pulling my pistol out of his pocket. I opened it to see a full magazine.

"Okay." I nodded putting the mag back and holding the gun. "Be safe." I said instinctively. He nodded before walking out. I usually only told Michonne that. I guess I got used to it like some sort of routine.

I heard a whole bunch of gunshots after a while and I went to the kids to tell them we were safe since Beth said they were getting worried. After waiting a while I kept looking around to make sure nothing was getting in.

I started to hear rapid fire and I got worried. I stayed inside even though I really wanted to go outside to check but I didn't want to act stupid. After about thirty minutes or so Carl walked in semi out of breath.

"The walkers broke the fence. We got most of them and blocked the entry so they can't get in." He said knowing I wanted to know. Who wouldn't?

"Is everyone okay?" I asked concerned.

"At least by the fences. There were gunshots by the Death Row Block too. I don't know what's going on in there." He responded as I sighed lightly.

"Good God." I said naturally reminding myself of my mother. "Well are you going to check?" I asked looking at him.

"Yeah I was but I wanted to make sure you knew what was up first." He replied. That was thoughtful. I mean he probably was just doing it because he knew I would've tried to find out on my own if he didn't tell me.

"Okay." I nodded. "Thanks." He nodded once before leaving. I quietly told Beth what was going on while I waited for Carl to come back. I hoped everyone was okay. People I knew closely were in there. Hershel, Glenn, Dr. S, just to name a few.

The little kids had been asleep for a while. A lot of them were worried about their parents and wanted to be with them. I knew the feeling. I felt like laughing, but you don't laugh when shit like this happens right? Maybe I was going crazy not being able to know what was happening outside this building.

Carl came in the room and he looked worried. I quickly and quietly got up and walked over to him. "And?" I asked waiting for him to tell me.

"A lot of them didn't make it. Glenn, Hershel, Sasha, Izzy, and Max are still okay." He explained listing the people he knew that I knew.

"Dr. S?" I asked as he shook his head. "Oh." I looked down. The apocalypse sucked. "Alright well is it slowing down?" He shrugged. "Ok." I answered. I felt like I was talking to myself.

"My dad said he was gonna talk with you and Michonne in the morning. What's that about?" He asked looking to me. Of course they told him.

"Your dad was telling me what to do and I didn't like it. He was acting like he was my- just I didn't like it." I responded with a sigh. "They just want to talk about it I guess."