Chapter 41: Good and Brave and Strong

Denise re-bandaged my wound and Tara held my hand as support. "I wanted to tell them but everyone is so happy to be finding a new group and Carl said he wanted to protect me but how can he protect me when I'm already gone." I cried softly. Tara looked at me sadly. "I need to tell him before it gets worse or else I won't be able to at all."

"You can tell him." Tara nodded.

"How?" I shook my head lightly.

"You're brave and you do what's right." She nodded. "I've seen it first hand with me. I know you'll be able to do it because you have to."

I sighed lightly as Denise finished repatching it. "All done." She said quietly. "So you've only told us?"

I nodded. "Everyone else I know, it would hurt them too much to know first and I needed advice." I nodded lightly. I wasn't close with Denise or Tara at all so telling them was easy. The hard part was knowing that it was the first step to the end.

"Well I agree with Tara. You need to tell him soon." Denise nodded. "You could have a day or you could have ten so you need to get it out before you can't." Denise nodded.

"I know. I just don't want him to give up on himself." I sniffed.

"Well if he's been fighting for you he still will keep doing it. It might even make him fight harder." Tara shrugged lightly.

"I hope so." I nodded once. "I'm gonna go now then." I said as I stood up and wiped my eyes. "I'll come to you if something bad is happening. Thank you for listening." I smiled lightly.

They smiled lightly back and I walked out. I couldn't head to Carl, not yet. I went to Enid who was sitting on a bench reading. I sat next to her. "Hey." I said kindly.

"Hey." She smiled lightly. "Looks like you and Carl made up huh?"

"Yeah. That's what I came to tell you." I nodded lightly. "Took a while though. He's kind of stubborn."

We both chuckled lightly. "Well I'm glad it worked out." She nodded lightly.

"Me too." I nodded. "Thank you for staying back yesterday. I'm glad that we finally became friends."

"Me too. You're not as crazy as I thought." She chuckled.

"No I'm not." I smiled back. "Well I should get going. You looked busy with that book before I came. Just wanted to tell you thanks." I nodded.

"Alright." She nodded. "Bye."

"Bye." I said before turning away. I felt more tears. All I did was cry and I could barely even stop. I finally went into the house and saw Carl reading comics on the couch. Judith must've been asleep.

"What've you been up to?" He asked looking at me.

"Just talking to everyone. Is Judy in bed?" I asked looking at him.

"Yeah I just put her down." He nodded.

I started walking over to sit next to him. I had to tell him now but I was so so worried. I didn't know how he'd take it and it scared me so much.

"You okay?" He asked as I looked forward. I heard him close his comic. "Lyla Rose?" He said worried as I looked to him.

A tear fell from my eye and I looked at him. He looked at my shocked in a way. "Hey." He said caringly as he hugged me. "What's going on?"

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I said as I hugged him.

"For what? What did you do?" He asked looking at me. "You can tell me. It's okay." He explained.