Chapter 32: A Lot of Punching, A Lot of Blood

The next day came around and I was back to my basic flannel and jeans. A few of our group went on a run for something that had to do with the solar panels.

I sat on the front porch reading a book to make sure I still knew how to read. Plus it was Flipped by Wendelin van Deannen. My class was reading it before everything went to hell and I wanted to know the ending.

"Hey." I heard as I looked up to see Rosita.

"Hey." I smiled looking up to her. "What's up?"

"I thought we could get started on that helping thing." She said looking at me.

"Well what did you want to teach me first?" I asked as I closed the book.

"Do you know how to build a fire?" She asked as I shook my head. I mean I knew how but I've never done it and I didn't know how to get the supplies. "Then we will start with that." She smiled.

She then taught me how to do it. It wasn't that hard. You get big branch, cut a hole in it that doesn't go all the way through. You get some of the outside bark in the tree and another stick. You twist it and eventually a fire will start.

I twisted the branch and it started flowing a little bit. "Okay good now be careful when you put it in the nest or it'll burn out." Rosita said as I looked to the pile of dead grass surrounded by rocks.

I put the piece of bark on it carefully in the center. We waited for a second and then the fire started. "I did it." I smiled at it calmly proud of myself.

"Nice work. You're a fast learner." She smiled back.

"Thanks. So what do you want to learn first?" I asked looking at her as I pulled out my book. "I've got stuff about broken bones, head trauma, causing head trauma, the list goes on." I said flipping through the book.

"Causing head trauma?" She asked looking to me.

"More like knocking someone out without the possibility of them dying." I responded with a shrug.

"Have you done it before?" She asked looking at me as I flipped to the page.

"Yeah once." I nodded. "It was useful. I could show you how. It's not that hard, but we can't really practice it."

"Fair enough." She nodded once.

I began to explain how you had to elbow them in the temple with only a certain amount of force. "So it's easiest if you start with your arms even and you do both at the same time. It evens out the force exerted and keeps it minimal."

"Like this?" She asked as she did the motion I just showed her.

"Yeah." I smiled lightly. "They'll be out for up to 30 minutes but they usually wake up around 5-10. It's enough to tie them up and keep them out of the way." I nodded once.

"That's pretty cool." She nodded once. "Thanks for the help." She smiled lightly to me.

"Thank you too. Maybe I could copy my book for you. You can teach me as we go and you can already have all the info." I shrugged lightly.

"Really?" I nodded as she had her arms crossed lightly.

"Just find me a book and a pen. I'll do it for you." I smiled.

"Thanks Lyla Rose." She smiled as I smiled back.

I put my book into my back pocket and I saw the van come back in. I hoped they were all there. Glenn got out and he started yelling.

"Help! Someone help us!" He yelled as I quickly ran over.

"What happened?" I asked quickly.

"Tara. She hit her head really bad. They have a surgeon here. Can you find him?" Glenn asked as I nodded quickly. I heard he was Jessie's husband. I went to there house.