Chapter 31: Lasts Forever

We were settling in. Rick said it was a good idea, some people were still cautious. I was in between about it all. We slept in our beds last night and it was really nice. I woke up the next morning before Carl and went downstairs. Rick and Michonne were in their new uniforms.

"Wow." I said as I looked at them. "You look so official."

"I think I make it look good too." Michonne joked.

"Yeah for sure." I smiled. "Where are you guys going?"

"Deanna is going to show us what she wants us to do." Rick answered as I nodded.

"Have fun." I smiled to them. I got a cup and made a glass of water.

"There's a party tonight at Deanna's. You and Carl meet us there okay?" Michonne asked looking at me.

"Okay." I nodded. "See you then." She said as she left with Rick.

The day went by pretty quick. Carl and I basically just played card games the whole time.

We got into fancy clothes which I hadn't done in so long.

I wore a maroon dress

I wore a maroon dress. The only option with sleeves. I wore a long silver chain and the necklace with the L on it. My hair was still at my hips.

I walked down the stairs and saw Carl already ready fixing his collar. "You ready?" I asked anyway with a smile.

"Yeah." He said before turning around and looking at me. He smiled lightly. "That's a nice dress."

I looked down at myself. "My arms, but it's okay." I said as I held my arm. I was trying to convince myself more than him. I still had my marks.

95.

"I think people are gonna be a lot more interested in these black marks then your scars." He smiled to me. "How many now?"

"95." I replied as he looked at them. "When I get to one hundred it'll shrink up again." I smiled looking at him.

He grabbed my hand. "I was thinking I should tell my dad at the party."

"Sounds like a good idea. Just you?" He nodded.

"I think it'd be less awkward." He smiled.

"Okay. Let's get going." We walked out holding hands and got to the party.

We walked in and looked at all the people talking and laughing. I saw Michonne and she walked over to me.

I crossed my arms and smiled. "You look beautiful." She smiled to me as she grabbed my hands. "Own it." She said quietly as I nodded lightly.

It was so hard to just pretend you aren't self conscious. I have to convince myself that I'm not or else this won't work.

We saw Rick with Deanna and a man who I assumed was her husband. It was another normal thing. Everyone was talking and eating. I didn't know what to think.