Chapter 38: Better Alive

A day or so had gone by. I woke up in my own bed now. I saw Carl next to me in his own bed. I sat up and looked at my foot. I had it wrapped. Someone must have wrapped it before.

I went over to his bed and looked at him. "Carl?" I asked quietly as I grabbed his hand. He opened his eye lightly. "Hey. Don't strain yourself." I said as he closed his eye. "Just wanted you to know I was here. I got shot too near my ankle so we're in this together, okay?" He nodded.

It took about a week for him to be able to get up. Well, for him to be allowed to get up anyway.

I woke up and he wasn't in his bed. He must've gotten up. I grabbed my crutch and headed to the bathroom to get dressed.

I opened the door and saw Carl looking at his lack of an eye. It was still very reddened and healing. He turned to me. "Get out." He said as I looked at him confused. He looked like he was crying. "Go!" He said as he pushed me out and closed the door.

I stood there and sighed lightly. I understood all to well. I was the same with my burns, and I still am. I walked downstairs and saw Michonne.

"I told you to tell me when you wanted to move." Michonne said running over to help me.

"You did?" I asked confused as I got down.

"Yeah. Maybe you were asleep." Michonne said as I let out a soft sigh.

"I heard Carl yell. What happened?" Rick asked looking at me.

I shrugged lightly as I sat down to eat. "How long until I can walk?" I asked looking at Michonne.

"Denise said about a month more. It'll take a lot longer to heal but the longer off of it the better." Michonne answered as I kept looking at my food.

It was awkwardly quiet after that and I headed backwards upstairs. I got inside our room and he was facing away sitting on his bed. He had a bandage over his eye now.

"Carl." I said closing the door. "Carl." I said again louder.

"What?" He asked angrily not turning around.

"You don't need to be ashamed." I said as I sat down on my bed facing him.

"You are." He said looking at the wall.

It was true, I was. I took off my flannel and looked at myself. "I am but I can learn not to be, just like you." I said as I held my arms. "Why won't you face me?"

"I don't want you seeing me like this." He responded as he turned his head lightly.

"There is no other way to see you. It's part of you now and that's okay. You're still family. I won't look at you any differently." I replied walking over to the his bed and sitting next to him.

"I don't believe you." He said shakily. I could hear him tearing up. "Why did you look at me like that when you saw me?"

"You were crying. I was worried and concerned. That's it." I turned around and I put my arms around him leaning my head against his shoulder. "No matter what you look like I still like you. You're still amazing." I said holding him.

"You're sleeves." He said as he held my arm.

"I'll take care of you and you take care of me. It's time for me to accept myself and you should too." I said sitting down with my back against his.