Chapter 26: Like That

A week or so went by. We lost gas for one of the vans so we were all shoved into one. I sat in a chair with Carl. We were all sweaty and dirty. It smelt awful and we were out of food and water. We stopped to look for something, anything that could nourish us. I went with Carl and Rick to search to the left of the road.

I was starting to look anorexic again. It wasn't as bad, but it was definitely getting there. We walked over fallen branches and leaves. Carl reached down and grabbed a jewelry box. I stopped while Rick kept going. It looked a little worn out but it was cute.

He opened it up to reveal a necklace. He chuckled softly. "What?" I asked looking at him.

"It has an L." He said looking at me. "Want it?" He asked as I looked at it. It was silver but it had rusted a little. I nodded. I turned around lifting the hair of my neck so he could put it on. He probably saw the burn scars.

I faced towards him and I posed as well as I could with my hand on my hip and a small smile plastered on my face.

"It's perfect." He smiled lightly.

Rick walked over to us. "Are you guys coming?" He asked as he raised his eyebrow.

"Let's go." I responded as Carl nodded and held the box.

"I'm gonna give it to Maggie. I think she'll like it." He explained as I nodded with my hand on my new necklace. Out of the 26 letters, it just happened to be an L.

We got back to the car with no luck of anything and started riding again. I leaned my head on Carl's shoulder. I was so tired of going and not being able to eat anything or know that I was safe. It was like I was at square one except this time with other people.

It's been us together most of the time with Judith. We only rarely got to search for stuff and we usually went together anyway. We'd gotten super close and I liked it.

He was my best friend and we both liked each other more. It wasn't like we could just go on a date or hang out by ourselves because there was never anywhere to go. It was never safe.

We did the small things. Hand holding, hugs, leaning on each other. No one had really talked to us about what was going on and I didn't really know if anyone noticed. We weren't doing anything wrong so I didn't see any problem with it.

The van sputtered and I sat up. "We're all out." Abraham said as he turned off the car.

"Then we will walk." Rick said as we all got out.

I took first shift with Judith. She was tired too. I envied her in some ways. She didn't have to walk around, but at the same time she could never tell us what she wanted.

A couple shifts later the walkers were building up behind us. We got to a bridge and decided it was easiest to send them down. A few of us including Carl and Judith stayed away while the others took care of it.

They were pushing them off. Everyone was half way doing everything. We were all really weak. It was going well until Sasha decided to stab one. They came more fiercely and they had to kill the others. They looked even worse now.

We kept going when we saw a few cars. "Dad look." Carl said as we walked over. Judy was in his hands now.

"I'll go through the woods and circle back." Daryl said as he went around.

"Let's look around carefully." Rick said as we did. I walked past Abraham and noticed his cut.

"Need a rag for that?" I asked looking at him.

"No I'm fine. I'll just let it do its thing." He said as I nodded. We looked around the cars and didn't see anything but a bag of some alcohol.

We all sat on the side of the road. I sat with my back against Michonnes. It was the same thing Carl and Rick were doing next to us. Rick was holding Judith while we waited for Daryl to get back.