Chapter 29: Real Life

"How old are you?" She asked looking at me as I sat back in the chair. It was super comfy compared to the ground. I realized my bag was still on and I took it off and held it in front of me.

"I'm fourteen." I replied with a small nod.

"So you've grown up in this. Did you do anything before?" She asked as I gave her a small nod.

"I did some gymnastics and some singing." I replied as she smiled.

"I'll have to hear it sometime." She nodded once.

"How long have you been with this group?"

"Not long. Half a year maybe." I answered.

"Who were you with before you found them." She asked me.

"Well a lot of different people." I said as she stayed quiet for me to tell her. "I was with my mom and dad. Then just my mom. Then just me. And then two new friends. And now everyone else out there."

"How long were you by yourself? How did you end up that way?" She asked looking at me. I didn't like all the questions.

"I was by myself for over a year. My dad got bit. My mom turned after her appendix ruptured." I said looking around again.

"I'm sorry to hear that." She said with a nod. "Are you friends that you met part of this group now?"

"One of them is. The other one got bit too. Michonne is my other friend." I explained to her.

"I see." She nodded. "You don't like all the questions do you?"

I looked at her sort of surprised that she could tell. "No ma'am." I replied.

"I have a few more and then I'll be out of your hair okay?" She asked as I nodded slightly.

"When you were by yourself how did you make it?" She asked as she leaned forward a little bit.

"Well after my mom turned I sort of just walked I went through towns and little stores scrounging and I did some hunting." I explained to her.

"That's really brave of you." She smiled lightly. "What did you hunt with?"

"My dad's hunting knives." I answered her.

"Do you have them with you?"

"Yes ma'am." I nodded as I patted my bag.

"How many?" She asked curiously.

"Enough to keep me alive." In responded.

"What else is in that bag? I want to see." She said with a slight smile.

I sighed lightly and took out my things. My book. My blanket. My pen. My knife sharpener. My pictures. My medicine.

"And the knives are in there too?" I nodded to her question as I put everything back. "I can trust you not to hurt anyone with those knives right?"

"Yes ma'am." I nodded as I put everything inside.

"Are those your parents?" She asked looking to me as I nodded. "And this is you I can tell. It's adorable. And is this your sister?" She asked looking at the last one.

"My best friend. I don't know where she is." I replied looking to her.

"Alright three more questions. What are the tic marks for?" She asked as I looked at my wrists. I forgot I rolled my sleeves up.

I quickly pointed to my right arm. The walker side. I hoped she didn't notice my other arm. "This is how many walkers I've killed. I've killed-" I counted. "-92. I count because I knew they used to be people. It's how many people I've set free." I smiled lightly.