Chapter 23: Made Me Happy

"I lock the doors at night. I always lock the doors at night. I always lock the doors at night." He said three times as he looked at Rick. "They started coming, my congregation. Atlanta was bombed the night before. They were scared. They were- They were looking for a safe place, a place that was safe. And it was so early. It was so early. And the doors were still locked." He looked like he was about to cry and he kept repeating everything.

"It was my choice. There were so many of them. They were banging on the shudders and door trying to get in. The dead heard them. Women. Children." He said with a whimper. I couldn't believe he did that. "Entire families torn apart, begging me for mercy." He was crying now. How could he not. He hurt all those people who were innocent. "Damning me to hell. I buried there bones. Buried it all. The Lord sent you here to finally punish me." He fell on the floor. "I'm damned. I was damned before. I always lock the doors. I always lock the doors." He sobbed.

"There's someone outside. Lying in the grass." Maggie said as Sasha ran out. I heard her yelling Bob's name.

They came back in and Bob's leg was chopped off. They laid him down and we surrounded him. I had my hand over my mouth in surprise.

"I was in the graveyard and they got me. They took me to a place. It looked like a school. It was that guy Gareth, and four other ones." He said breathing shakily. "They were eating my leg right in front of me." He said trying not to cry. "Like it was nothing. All proud like they had it all figured out."

"Did they have Daryl and Carol?" Rick asked looking to him.

"Gareth said they drove off." Bob said as he winced lightly.

"He's in pain. Do we have anything?" Sasha asked looking up.

"I have some in my bag from the trip to Athens. I'll go get it." I said as I stood up.

"Save em." Bob cried lightly.

"No." Sasha replied.

"Really." Bob added as I stopped walking. He sat up and moved his shirt to reveal a bite. "It happened at the food bank." He said as Sasha looked in shock. I looked at him sadly.

We always had to loose good people. Why was it always like that. Judith started crying and Carl took her to the back room. I went with him.

"I really thought he didn't do anything that bad." Carl said as he rocked Judith.

"Well everyone does bad things, but he's sorry for them. I guess in a way that's what really matters. He won't do it again so it's okay." I said reassuring myself more then sticking up for Gabriel.

"Still. I just want to find good people you know?" He asked looking at me.

"Me too, but you never can know if someone is good or not." I answered with a small shake of my head.

"Why are you being so pessimistic about it all the sudden?" He asked looking at me with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Because we are only teens and we've done awful things. I'm not the best person. I might not even be a good person anymore." I said crossing my arms.

"You are a good person." He said looking to me. He walked over grabbing my hand lightly. "You are." He said. He was close to me. It made my heart thump hard. I took a deep breath and held his hand back. I nodded and looked down at our hands. I let go and smiled lightly up to him.