~•5•~

Somehow the blonde child who's name is apparently Zachariah (Zach for short) got to sit up front. I was fine with it, I mean I wanted to sit with Arlis, but it was... not something I was used too.

Zach looked fifteen, younger than Sam but definitely old enough to know what was going on around here. He had soft blue eyes and blonde hair. Quite the opposite of Everly and Constance.

My heart still hurt from my visit with my family, but I knew Chance would take care of them while I was gone. I could trust him. And for some reason Zach reminded me a little bit of my own brother.

"I know you told that guy a different story," Arlis said, looking to me. He didn't seem mad, or perplexed, or even surprised. He seemed more... hateful towards Chance. The way he spat out "that guy" when he spoke.

I rolled my eyes at his overprotectiveness. "'That guy' is Chance, and he knew I was lying." I shot him a small smile. "He would've told our parents something was wrong if I hadn't of reassured him."

Arlis deflated, looking slightly embarrassed. "There isn't a boyfriend I should know about... right?" He asked.

I almost choked on my own spit. He thought Chance was my boyfriend? I burst out laughing, startling everyone. "Uh, no."

I rolled down the window and let air rush through the nice car, whipping my hair around wildly.

"Relationships are gross," Zachariah said, chuckling.

I couldn't help but smile, looking at Zachariah with a newfound respect. "That's very true."

Arlis snapped his head to me. "Excuse me?" He asked, but he was just playing with me. He poked at my side and I squirmed away, giggling.

"So immature for someone who's 295." Connie grumbled, driving faster than she should be.

I widened my eyes at Arlis. "Two hundred... and ninety five?"

He nodded. "I'm actually really young compared to most."

I'm a toddler in this world. I'm a baby. A newborn.

"See, I knew I was a hell of a lot older than you." Connie laughed. "Wait! So when we fought back in 1837 you were only a hundred and fifteen? No wonder you couldn't fight even though your life depended on it."

Arlis ignored her comment and instead looked to Zach. "So, Zach. First time hanging with a were?"

Zach shook his head. "I've met you before, Alpha Arlis."

Connie glared at Zach, suddenly very intrigued in the conversation happening in the car. "You don't call him Alpha." She glanced at Arlis through the mirror, and then turned back to Zach. "You know that Zach. You weren't raised to respect them."

Zach turned to Constance and did something I would never do, something that made me think he was bolder than I ever could be. He flipped her off, shooting her the bird with his middle finger.

She gasped and pulled the car over, stopping on the dirt road near the tree line. She got out and walked over to Zach's side, pulling the door open and all but throwing him out of the passenger's seat.

I tried to get out to help Zach but Arlis stopped me, wrapping a strong hand around my wrist. "He can hold his ground. Plus this is a Dawn thing."

"He's like fifteen!" I exclaimed, gesturing to Zach. "She's gunna kill him."

"Twelve. And no she won't. She's probably done worse to the rest of her family." He says, defending her. "Trust me. It's a Dawn thing."

I scoffed, getting out of the car anyways. But when I reached them I realized there was nothing I could really do.