~•36•~

KATE
Broken, beaten, buried in pain, Mell was still laughing.

"No I totally get it, Jonah does the same thing." She laughed, sitting up in her hospital bed. Iris sat next to her, her eyes red and puffy from crying. I was next to Iris, a binder about witches was open on my lap.

I chuckled falsely, reading down a page of spells. Was there a spell I could use to get Arlis back? Was there a curse? A potion? Anything? My ears were open to their conversation, but my mind was focused on Arlis. What could I do?

Iris held Mell's hand and rolled her eyes. "It makes no sense. Just put the lid down, it's not that hard."

"It's not that hard to push it down yourself!" Chance argued back, seated away from us, closer to the door.

I didn't say anything, just focused on the texts in my lap. Deflammo - extinguish a flame. I looked at the spell, remembering the time when Becker set the carpet on fire in the house. It almost made me laugh, but no happiness fell off my lips. There wasn't time to joke right now, I had to get Arlis back.

"Kate you're going to go insane." Iris snapped, trying to take the binder away from me. I ripped it from her hands, her eyes widened. "Someone's getting used to strength, isn't she?" She looked older, stress showing in her greeting hair.

I looked at the calendar on the wall of Mell's room. It was the night of Dec 28th. Christmas was fine. Dec 26th was the day Arlis was ripped away from me, shattering my world. I was asleep for two days, myself just waking up this morning. And in... in three days... I'd be a full werewolf. Full. Blood.

Chance scoffed. He was one of the last people to learn about my position and the attack considering nobody even really knew he existed. He was raging when he found out what happened, demanding someone to take him to Canada to quote on quote, "Kick Konrad's ass all the way to Hawaii."

"At least you had a grace period, sis." Chance said, looking back to the door. Any time the handle even jiggled, he was tense. "I was just suddenly a werewolf. All of it came at once."

He'd called mom, who completely flipped her shit, and (somehow) convinced her to stay home. The only point that dented her opinion on coming here was he fact that Becker healed us as well as he could. She wasn't lying when she said her and Becker were close at one point.

I closed my eyes. "I'm just looking for a way to get Ar—"

"Baby girl, we'll get him back." Iris said, putting her hand on my back, rubbing it. It was a motherly gesture that made me feel a little calmer. But I didn't need calm right now. I was storm that raged on, cursing the lands and the people I toppled over.

I stood up from the chair, knocking the binder off my lap. "You don't understand! Its eating me up from the inside out. I can't fucking breathe, Iris!" I cried, pulling my hair.

For someone I'd known for almost five months, Arlis meant more to me than someone I'd known my whole life. From the very moment my eyes met his, I was his and he was mine.

And I didn't realize that until he was GONE! Why? Because I'm just what Constance called me, a whiny bitch. A little girl who didn't understand the world she was in. No matter how much I hated that fact, she wasn't exactly wrong.

But I understood now. I understood perfectly well just what kind of environment I was in. A kill or be killed world. At this point, I wasn't scared to kill. If it meant getting Arlis back, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I was going to do a complete 180, show Constance and myself and Konrad that I won't be ignored. I won't be weak.