~•26•~

KATE

"Is she going to die?" I asked when Arlis came up the stairs after treating her wounds. Everyone was confused because she wasn't healing as fast as she should've been.

Arlis shook his head. "I hope not. I need her alive. If she dies, it could overthrow the balance of the entire situation. Constance would hate me, the Dawns would hate us. Becker would..." He paused and his eyes went shadowy, the dark browns no longer like melted chocolate but instead, the sharp rocks an ocean beats up against. "Point being, I think and hope she'll live."

It's been two hours, the night was starting to descend upon us like an unwanted enemy. I wanted to go to bed, sleep through all my troubles. But I knew I couldn't do that... not with Konrad being fully risen.

However, just being here made me feel like a sitting duck.

Chleo came by, healed but still tired. He told us all about the fight that broke out, how Jonah had come thinking he could kill Konrad because he has the same blood as Arlis. How Jonah had ripped out Konrad's throat and Konrad had laughed in his face.

But it wasn't just Arlis's blood you needed, you also needed a Hunter's dagger, and Becker to bind him to Hell. Plus, you needed the Barron blood to be pierced into Konrad. Something about binding bloods together?

"I'm gunna go check on her," I said lazily and turned gracefully away from Arlis, happy to have something to do to get my mind off of the subject at hand.

I took a step and he grabbed my wrist. I turned and I saw something that terrified me beyond my wildest nightmares.

Arlis was scared. I could see it in his eyes. He was frozen in fear, petrified by something. "I won't let him hurt you. That's a promise." He kissed my hand and I leaned forward to kiss his lips. I would never get sick of this feeling. The feeling of being cared for even during the worst times. "I'll be down in a minute, I want to uh... change." He gestured to his shirt that was covered in blood.

I nodded and walked down the stairs. Halfway down the circular stairs, I saw Everly sitting up. "Arlis! She's awake." I yelled. I smiled kindly to her, hoping to establish some sort of friendship. "Hey, Everly."

She winced as she stood up, stumbling forward and clutching the bookshelf next to the couch.

She assessed the room, a pained look on her face. I wasn't surprised, there were still cuts in her body from the birds that attacked her. Apparently Becker sent a huge flock of crows to attack her and... they did a good job of it.

She looked back to me with a sad expression. "Kate, right?" She seemed confused as to who I was, even though I went to school with her. Shows how much she cares.

I nodded anyways. "Yeah. Kate."

Arlis came down the stairs and I noticed Everly's eyes widen in a good shock. I looked him up and down. Apparently he didn't change that much because he wasn't wearing a shirt at all and he had grey sweats on.

I looked back to Everly, who was quite obviously checking him out. Jealousy was apparently much easier to acquire as a werewolf because I actually almost said something to her.

But before I could, Arlis growled at her and she jumped in her skin, looking back to his eyes.

"Eyes up here, I have a mate and I do not need a fight right now." Arlis snapped, obviously pissed that she was checking him out. He wasn't the only one.