~•28•~

Chance threw the couch pillow across the room, the pillow knocked into the glass bowl on the counter and pushed it off, shattering it.

I closed my eyes and waited for his reaction to settle down. "You start a world war? A war between all species? Countries themselves can't grow up enough to not kill each other, much less come together to kill a common enemy. And you're already bit." Chance pulled at his blonde hair, closing his eyes and angrily growling. "I can't watch you go through that! And and all all this stuff with that guy Konrad and... Kate this is insane." He wiped his eyes and sighed heavily. "Look, it's eleven at night now, Arlis isn't back, just show me the guest room and we'll call it a night."

I glanced at the clock, tiredly reading the time. I didn't realize it was that late. I thought I'd spent just mere minutes worrying about Arlis, but it appears that I've waisted whole hours. Two hours to be exact.

I nodded. "Follow me upstairs."

He obeyed silently, his normal loud and happy personality wasn't singing any more. Maybe this world destroyed you just as much as you destroyed others.

He paused once he reached the door. He turned his head slightly to me, his blue eyes brighter than I was used too. They looked sharper, keener. "I'm sorry Kate. I'm sorry I didn't protect you as a brother should have. I shouldn't have been so weak that night, letting you risk yourself for me. Maybe then... we'd be at home normal and happy."

I kissed his cheek sisterly, and patted him on the back. "I feel like if I climbed that tree instead of you, neither of us would be at home. I still would have found my way to Arlis and you would have died. I love you, Chance, you're my brother."

He hugged me and kissed my forehead. "Night Sis. Don't let me hear you and Arlis in the middle of the night." He winked and took two steps away before turning back. "He's uh... he's a good guy, right?"

I chuckled lightly. "He really is. For the most part."

Chance raised his eyebrows. "For the most part?"

I huffed out a long breath and yawned, covering my mouth with one hand. "I feel like he'd actually kill for his family and friends. And in the worst ways possible. But only because he cares so much. And... he does things for the right reasons. He saved a little girl from certain death, he risked his life to kill Konrad the first time, he just... he has some problems, but I feel like we all do."

Chance stared at me blankly. "As much as I think we all do, I did not ask for his life story. Night sis." He slammed the door in my face and I couldn't do anything but smile as I walked away. He was going to be my normalcy, I could already tell.

I opened the door across the hall and walked into Arlis's bedroom. The room was cold, the lights were off, and it was silent. I shivered and tried to find the light switch.

"Don't turn on the light." A recognizable voice muttered.

"Arlis? When did you get home?" I asked, my aching feeling falling away as I realized he was okay... maybe. Was he okay? Did he go insane? The normal Arlis would have come to me as soon as he got home.

I watched a form move in the darkness, coming closer to me. He stood in front, and I saw his chocolate eyes looking at me with pain and mystery. What happened to him? What did he see? Did he even take the tears?

"I've been home. I was letting you catch your brother up." He responded, his voice low and rough.

I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck. "Oh. How come you—"