~•49•~

Beginning of the end - Klergy & Valerie Broussard

MOSTLY UNEDITED. And we have... 2-3 chapters left. Although, the next 2-3 chapters will be... vv long. Hopefully. Love you guys! Hope you're all having a fantastic day.

KATE
Arlis woke up just in time to see me disappear. He woke up the moment Ralph sat a hand on my shoulder and spoke words I had never heard.

He had ran towards us, but we were gone before he could reach me.

I wasn't mad at him for leaving me anymore. I understood why he did it. On some level, I almost praised him for it.

I was in a white nightgown, my hair halfway pulled up. I looked the part of Polyphema now. Becker had stared at me in awe, in a melancholic way.

My stomach twisted as we appeared in front of a large house, a mansion really. It's grandeur domed ceiling and marbled stairway made my eyes go wide.

The yard, a bright green color with a circle driveway and a giant tree in the middle reminded me of something I'd see on TV.

The mansion had no lights on inside, no sign of life.

"This is Konrad's house?" I asked.

I wasn't expecting Konrad to live in a house like this. It was fancy and big, it was elegant and bold. It was a dream house built on top of clouds.

"Here goes nothing." Ralph knocked on the door, ignoring my awe, his knuckles so tight they had turned white.

Not five seconds after, the red headed man opened the door. He saw Ralph and narrowed his eyes.

"Konrad." I breathed out.

Konrad closed his eyes and then turned his head towards me. "Kate." He responded, his eyes never leaving mine.

"I am not my grand niece." The worlds felt weird. I didn't talk like this. But Everly said this is what Polyphema said when she mistook Poly for me. So... here I was, following Everly's advice. Probably like a fool.

Konrad's eyes widened. "Ho— prove it."

I remembered Becker telling me about his true father. And it wasn't Konrad. "Beckerann is not your son. And I know you resent me for that." I responded nonchalantly.

Konrad scoffed at me. "Basic. Tell me another."

Arlis.

Are you okay? Tell me you're okay?

"What do you want to know?" I asked, shrugging my shoulders, trying to stall.

What's something only Polyphema would know?

Konrad pressed his palm against my cheek and I leaned into it. He pressed his other hand against my other cheek, smirking. "It's amazing how much you look like her." He tilted my head back to look at my neck. "You even have the same birthmark under your chin."

No. I don't have a birthmark under my chin. But makeup can do you a lot of good.

Becker said to just say France 1001.