~•34•~

ARLIS
"So Konrad thinks you think he's dead?" Arlis asked, looking out to the trees where snow had captured every green value and smothered it with a freezing death.

The guy across from him, a messy haired, baby-faced witch named Becker nodded solemnly. One foot was resting up on the railing while he sat on it. His back was resting up against the small pillar.

It was dark outside, the moon covered by clouds. Becker held a flame in his hands to keep him warm.

Arlis was slightly cold but he didn't dare act like he was. He thought back to just five minutes ago where he was warm under the covers with his love.

But Becker popped into his territory, his power waking up Arlis from slumber.

Arlis had slipped out the room without waking Kate, and found Becker at his doorstep. They had been talking for ten minutes, a recap.

Becker said he had escaped from Konrad. Arlis was wry of the story, as much as he hated to be. Apparently Konrad was holding the kids above Becker's head and if Becker did anything that Konrad disapproved of, then the children would be killed.

Becker had apparently found a spell that undid Konrad's hold on the children and then he slipped out of his grasp.

And then he attacked Konrad, at the Dawn residence. He realized he didn't have my blood and he didn't have a hunter's knife.

"How come you didn't just teleport to me? Grab Everly's blade?" I asked, shaking my head. "Instead of this... plan? To make him think you think he's dead. How does that help?"

Becker sighed, looking down. "By the time I had teleported here to get your blood he would've been gone."

Arlis narrowed his eyes. "You knew he was there. Why didn't you come here first? Becker, something isn't adding up."

Becker licked his lips and ran a hand through his hair. "I wasn't thinking rationally, okay? I thought, he's there I'm going to kill him. And I went. I... Arlis... Konrad has Constance. She's ready to die."

Arlis blew out a cold breath, creating fog in front of his face. "I know."

Becker slipped off the railing. "And you're not doing anything about it!?" Becker yelled. "I'm livid!"

Arlis stood up from his chair and stood close to Becker. They were about the same height, maybe Becker a little taller. "What am I supposed to do! I have Kate, I have another girl now and a little boy that I promised I'd protect because Konrad killed their parents because I wasn't paying attention."

Becker gulped. "And that'll keep happening unless you do something."

"Stab me. Take my blood. And then leave me alone." Arlis tried to turn away but Becker grabbed his arms.

"Who are you!?" Becker's eyes welled up. "Because you're not my Arlis. What if Constance and I had just left you with Konrad. Huh? What if we hadn't of gone and saved you?"

Arlis couldn't meet Becker's eyes. "That was different. We had nothing to risk back then. Now I have everything to risk. I'm Alpha, now. You... you have family now."

"Constance is our family. She needs us." Becker argued. "I can't do this without you. Don't leave her to die."

Arlis shrugged out of Becker's grasp. "You know I don't do things without thinking over it. I've thought over this. I'd rather, and I'm sure Constance would agree, have her die. Then have both of us die." It wasn't just that. Something about this situation was off, something in Arlis's mind was screaming at him to turn Becker away.