December 31st

Dylan hated New Years Eve. Almost as much as he hated Christmas. He'd spent another Christmas alone on the boat but he didn't want to spend another New Year on his own, however much he hated it!

He had decided to venture into one of the pubs he passed sometimes, depending on what way he walked to/from the ED. At 8pm, it wasn't very busy. He sat at the bar and ordered himself a double Whiskey.

People came and went as Dylan nursed his drink. He hated people and wondered why he'd bothered coming in here as he looked around at everyone enjoying themselves.

Dylan didn't notice that he was being watched by a man in a hoodie sat alone. The man even ignored the people he'd arrived at the pub with, brushing them off, pretending to be interested in his phone, when he was really staring at Dylan. The man finished his drink and went up to the bar to get another. He purposely didn't stand anywhere near Dylan but managed to take a photo of him in the reflection from the mirrored wall of the bar. He ordered a bottle of Whiskey, poured himself some, and told the barkeeper to give the rest to the good looking guy with the beard. He sat back down and watched as Dylan was given the bottle.

Dylan eyed the bottle suspiciously at first. Who on earth would buy him a bottle? In a pub where he knew nobody? He nodded a thanks and poured out some. The man just smiled.

*****

Dylan had only ever really been in fights when he was drunk. He had his crazy family to thank for that. This was the first time he'd been in a proper one for years. He was very much out of practice, so he tried walking away from the people he'd provoked. One of them managed to wrestle him to the floor, pinning him down. Dylan's vision went and came back again, trying to focus on the broken glass inches from his face.

Whoever was pinning him down, was removed and he was helped up by the man that had been watching him, his friends with worried looks. "You ok?", the man asked.

"Yes", Dylan said rather awkwardly. The man sat him down where he and his friends had been sitting.

"Look, we're just about to head to a club if you fancied coming with us?"

Dylan raised an eyebrow in surprise. Was this man asking him out? "I'm not gay".

The man smiled. "That's a shame because you are absolutely gorgeous", he whispered into Dylan's ear. "The offers there anyway". The man got up and spoke to his friends, watching them leave. "I told them to go on ahead".

Dylan looked at the man. "You should join them. Have fun and enjoy yourself"

"And be worried about you?"

"You don't need to worry about me. No one does"

"That's not true. There's always someone that would worry or miss us if we're not around"

"Dervla would miss me"

"Girlfriend?"

"Dog"

"Ah, yes Nemo would miss me. I'm Zack by the way"

"Dylan"

"Nice to meet you", Zack said offering Dylan his hand. Dylan shook his hand back. "I'm hungry, let's ditch this place. I know a nice chippy just down the road"

Dylan wasn't interested in the chips but thought being outside might clear his mind a bit.

*****

"So, you're a Doctor? That's so cool. Sexy and brainy" Dylan rolled his eyes. He definitely felt more coherent in the cold crisp night. "I still don't know what I want to do in life. I wanted to be a Photographer". Zack pulled out a camera and started taking photos of Dylan. "If I go back to college, can you be my living photo study?"

"College? How old are you?"

"20. How old are you?"

"Old enough to be your father". Dylan noticed the way Zack recoiled at the mention of his father.

"If only he was a nice as you"

"You don't even know me"

"I know you'd never hurt me and that's good enough for me. Here it is. Be back in a second"

Dylan watched Zack enter the chippy. So Zack had a bad relationship with his father like he had with Brian. Dylan checked his phone and sent everyone a Happy New Year message.

*****

They walked along with their chips until they found a bench. They sat in companionable silence until the first sounds of cheers and fireworks filled the air.

"Happy New Year Dylan" Zack lent over and kissed him. Dylan was too surprised to recoil back, instead remaining very still. "I'm sorry. I know you're not gay" Dylan frowned at him. Like a lost little boy, waiting on instructions as to what to do next.

"It's fine. It's the drink talking"

Zack knew it wasn't in his case. He really liked Dylan, even if he was older than him. He'd always liked older men. He felt safe with them. Which is why he was reluctant to leave Dylan now that his friends weren't around. He knew his ex had threatened to kill him, but he also knew that he wouldn't with a witness. Or so he thought.