January 5th/6th

TW: self harm, past abuse and rape, mention of drug abuse and suicide

"De-De you need to eat"

Dylan sighed. He'd not eaten anything since breakfast and could only stomach a slice of toast.

"It's not the food. I could understand if it was your toy town hospital..."

"I'm sure the food here is perfectly edible. I just feel like I'll be sick if I eat"

"You'll waste to nothing if you don't"

"Yeah, well that'll be one way of forgetting"

"Have you spoken to the counsellor?"

"No"

"Have you been sleeping ok?"

"What's this? 20 questions?"

"It's a concerned friend talking"

"You know talking wasn't my thing"

"I know"

"I can't talk about it right now. I see their faces when I sleep. Haunting me, mocking me. That's all I will say"

Sam entered the room with a Doctor. "Dylan, Doctor Harris is here to check how you're healing up". Dylan frowned. "I can stay if you want"

"I'll be fine". Dylan was screaming inside.

"Ok, if you don't mind changing into a gown, I'll be back shortly"

Dylan picked up the gown and raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Much better quality than those NHS issue ones you have over there"

"That's a relief. He threatened to go naked the last time he had to wear one"

Zsa Zsa laughed. "Well, hand me over to Sam. Us girls finally need to have a chat". Dylan rolled his eyes and handed the laptop to Sam. "You better be on your best behaviour for Doctor Harris or I'll be over there on the next flight"

Dylan almost wanted to misbehave just so he could speak to Zsa Zsa in person.

*****

Dylan got into the gown and sat on the bed waiting. Doctor Harris came in and asked some general questions. How was he feeling, was he in any pain.

He indicated for Dylan to lie down and get comfortable. Dylan's breathing became laboured as soon as he felt hands on him. "I do apologise Doctor Keogh if this hurts at all"

The use of his title was too much for Dylan. In his hands he held a nail file he'd stolen out of Sam's bag. He stabbed himself in the thigh as Doctor Harris began his check. Pain followed by bliss as Dylan twisted the nail file around. He hadn't realised Doctor Harris had finished the exam until he was lightly tapped on the shoulder.

"Still with us Doctor Keogh?" Dylan recoiled, jumping from the bed and landing on the floor. Right on top of the nail file, pushing it further into his thigh.

*****

"I'm glad I finally got to speak to you Sam. It's a shame Dylan and I lost touch"

"He can certainly go off the radar when he really wants to"

One of the nurses came rushing over. "Sam! It's Dylan". Sam got up and rushed to Dylan's room as he was being wheeled out, towards theatre.