February 18th

"Dy'an!"

Rihanna ran straight into Dylan's outstretched arms as soon as David answered the door to Hazel.

"Thank you both for agreeing to look after her at short notice"

"It's fine. We have a fun filled day planned today and tomorrow will just be as action packed!"

"Thank you David. Rihanna, mummy will see you tomorrow"

Rihanna was too busy having cuddles with her big brother but waved goodbye when Dylan did.

"So, we are going to go for a walk and meet Charlotte for lunch, with Glen and Robyn"

" 'Kay"

"If the weather stays dry, we'll go to the park"

"Park!" Rihanna ran over to Dervla.

"Just think, in the summer we can have a picnic in the park. Ollie always enjoyed it when we did that"

"You miss him?"

"Yes. Rosa did mention about me having him over the summer holidays"

"You're a good father David"

"Oh, I'm not that great"

"At least you care about Ollie. More than what Brian ever cared for with me"

*****

They arrived at a pub that had a lovely big beer garden, play area and a small area for dogs. Dylan was pleased that such a place existed.

"We found it by chance. Charlotte had been sick and we stopped here"

"It's lovely and now I know why you insisted on me bringing Dervla". They watched as Rihanna and Dervla played together.

"Is Sam not joining us?"

"She's working. We'll hopefully see her tomorrow though"

Robyn squeezed his hand. "I'm glad things are working out for you two"

"Thank you Robyn. It means a lot"

And it did mean a lot to him. He knew his grumpy attitude had made people avoid him over the years. How he only let some people close to him. That part of him hadn't really changed. He'd gotten softer, especially since his return to Holby, making new friends and finding out he had a sister. Sanosi. The horrors of France. And Sam coming unexpectedly back into his life after what had happened to him. The support she had given him.

After they had eaten their lunch and said their goodbyes, Dylan headed for the ED. "I need to see Sam."

David nodded, walking with Dylan as far as he could. "We'll see you later Dylan."

Dylan nodded, walking away with a smile. David was in love with Dervla. He almost felt guilty for considering Zsa Zsas offer, but knew Dervla would be safe with David. David missed Ollie more than he realised.

*****

Dylan had decided to wait in the ambulance station for Sam. He saw Iain first, who just grinned at him. "She's not shut up about you all day long. I had to listen to her telling me how happy she was whilst I was trying to eat my kebab at lunch time."

Sam punched his arm gently. "Well, it makes a change hearing about you and your failed conquests"

"I have you know, there's been no one since Lily left"

"Is she coming back?" Dylan had liked Lily. She was a very good doctor.

"I'm pretty sure she won't be back. Not unless it's when Connie leaves. You might have to fight her for clinical lead"

Dylan looked at Sam. "There's more to life than promotion. I would like to spend more time with the people I love in all honesty. If anything, what's happened has made me realise that"

Sam took his hand. "Let's go for a walk Dylan"

******

Their walk took them to David's house, opening the door, the casserole he was cooking smelt wonderful.

"Well don't just loiter on the door step, come in. There's plenty for us all, although it won't be ready for another half hour"

Dylan and Sam went into the living room, Sam sat curled up in Dylan's lap. When David went through to say dinner was ready, they had both fallen asleep. He left them to it, eating his with Dervla for company, taking her out for a walk when he was done. He left them a note: I didn't want to wake you both. Dinner is in the oven. I've taken Dervla out for a walk.