8

Alexander sat his feet on his table while he enjoyed the bickering between his men. The past hours the men argued against their king's decision. Persia was officially under Greece's rule. Every village was under Alexander's leadership and blessed with gifts to tighten their loyalty to his hip, so he can prevent rebellions. The men used his earnings to validate their reasoning of officially retiring his adventures, thus preventing his dream to control the whole of Asia.

It was a valid point...for a lazy king. The good he has done to these poor countries and elevating their statuses to riches should convince his generals to continue the expansion. Persians were prospering from the Grecian way and money that was rebuilding their villages into cities. There was no sense on stopping.

"Your highness!" Clietus shouted into the hands that rubbed down his face. "The Persian land is now ripe. We can return to Babylon and handle our business for the hopes of restoring balances for all Persian lands."

Parmenion, his father's general who served him now, sighed with his hunched shoulders. The old bastard was a magnet for life, though Alexander hoped the opposite secretly. But Alexander had to admit out of respect, he was the best experienced man to control the Thracian allied chivalry. "Alexander, you have shadowed me as a boy. First hand, you have seen the corruption and constant snakes try to penetrate your leadership for their benefit. Which is why we must go back to Macedonia!"

Alexander shrugged, not affected, because he thought highly of his preventions. "Macedonia will not rebel. I have taken precautions against it."

Philatos, his son, defended. "You have assassinated your father's second wife as well as the new born babe. You have destroyed Thebes. Then after burning it down, you sold the people into slavery."

"Proceed..." he sensed a 'however'.

"That is the past, Alexander." He pleaded. The long blonde hair curled out of his knot to his face. "Those are your enemies, then. We are addressing those, now."

"Macedonia is one city I control." The king began. "Overthrowing Macedonia is merely an act of a revolt in a poor village. I can quickly put down once more."

"It may appear that way since you expanded your empire." Another childhood friend, Kallas entered in his natural soft voice. "I have to disagree with you, your grace. Macedonia is the heart of your reign; a capital. If taken down, others will view you weak, because you couldn't protect your main kingdom."

"From who?" The King tittered silently. "My most loyal men, you speculate. What enemies do I have other than the Persian satraps and those soon to come?"

"A King never fails to have enemies." Parmenion held his shoulder in imploration. "Each civilian has a way of finding an opportunity to become higher in status."

"Then I am truly doomed." Alexander scoffed. "To proclaim every one is the enemy makes no difference in staying here or returning."

"Parmenion, calm your heart." Oerticus, another one of his father's general, rolled his eyes. His chubby cheeks growing while drinking the wine and fruit. The sun shined down the balcony, shining on his light brown hair and pale blue eyes. "If you are concerned about Macedonia, perform your duties for the king and clean the city."

"I am not its warden,"

The king drank his wine "You are what I want you to be."

Angered, Parmenion bit his tongue. The level of disrespected he experienced with the late king was nothing compared to Alexander's blatant insolence. It wasn't his uncouth words, but the inability to heed advice from the right councilmen.