46

After the irritating meeting, Queen arrived at the underground prison. Every prisoner was ordered to have their legs and hands tied together. Their mouths were wrapped shut as they laid against each other.

Queen left specific instructions for the guards to watch each prisoner individually and punish those who attempt to communicate.

Her mother was going to have the same condition.

"My Queen." A warrior straightened his hunched back.

"Is she asleep?" Queen asked.

"No. I am not asleep, dark whore." She heard her mother yawn out.

"Excuse us." She nodded towards the door.

The warrior bowed and left to wait outside.

"Greetings, mother." Queen sat on the stool beside the bars.

Her mother, Rene, sang in a happy tune. "What have I done?"

"Who says you have done anything?"

"Evidently, I have. There is no worse punishment than looking at that face of yours." She laughed maniacally.

Queen was used to her scrutiny. "I thought my birth was your ultimate punishment."

"Undeniably so." She shrugged. "I considered stoning you but Metrius required a pet to play with."

Queen's face was stone serious. As a child, Queen preferred to run into her room and pour the bleeds of her broken heart onto her room's floor. Sometimes she would find usefulness in her father's time and shadow his steps across the country. She despised crying. She adopted the method of weeping many times as a youngling, because she was demolished with abuses every single day.

The constant insults built the armor to protect her subtle soul.

"Oh, mother. I have missed you."

"I have missed a couple things." Her mother leered. "If I recall, our last conversation consisted of your promises. Your promise to drag my son's body naked through the streets as a part of his execution. Or your belly swollen with a child. Where are those victories? I have missed them."

"Your conspirator child is losing, fortunately. He is at the edge of surrender." Queen baited. "As for your grandchild-"

Rene snorted in disgust.

"I pledge he or she will be conceived soon. My consort has been chosen." Queen rubbed her lower stomach, tauntingly.

Rene's eye twitched.

The infamous twitch was a notorious signal. Her mother was often silenced in her father's presence. She used to complain in their room privately, but King Kirk's words were final. There were instances when Rene was angry and needed to boast her opinion aloud, but couldn't. In its place, Rene would twitch her eye, because she was holding back.

In it, the gleam usually meant she was hiding something purposely.

A conniving shimmer of contentment.

She knew everything.

Someone had been visiting her mother.

Nonetheless, her mother's lips created a frown and faked a pout in one expression. "If he is losing, he will arise. As for your future child, I hope God decides to leave your womb empty or I hope evil decides to wrap the cord around your baby's neck during birth."

Queen grimaced.

"I wonder how does Gwynne feel?" She laughed. "I am disgusted you have taken the initiative to have a child, but I enjoy the misery she must be feeling."