27

Alexander and his army finally arrived to Euritic.

The days have passed slowly.

The killing of the Persians and their families haunted Alexander's dreams, while his Greek men slept soundlessly without the threat of disease. Except for Hephaestion. His closest friend refused to attend to Alexander's loneliness and despair, through the tortuous punishment his conscience executed relentlessly.

Why Hephaestion was affected by the execution of the Persians was beyond his comprehension. Alexander and Hephaestion discussed whether he should command their deaths or not. His best friend made it clear that the king had no other choice, but to satisfy the desires of his countrymen.

Alexander shook his head.

"King Alexander!" One of his Greek servants rode back towards the camp.

King Alexander was outside. He was observing the kingdom and receiving reports about the structure, because his first impression was jumbled by the appearance of it. The kingdom was surrounded by a large body of water with tall mountains acting as indestructible barriers. There appeared to be one-way entrance into this vicious place.

"Alec." King Alexander loosened the wool around his shoulders in response to the heat.

The blonde hair boy swung off his horse.

He tripped over his saddle.

Alexander rolled his eyes. The Persians were more intricate and careful in their movements; not imbalanced and too eager to please.

He scurried to Alexander on wobbled legs. The king held up his hand, because he doesn't want the man too close.

"My King, we do not need ships to travel across to Euritic." He explained. "The water is so shallow enough to reach our ankles."'

"How wide is the shallow path?"

"About 500 yards on estimation. On either side of it are waters deeper than I can measure."

"Hmm." Enough space for his army to cross, but dangerous.

"Thank you, Alec." He dismissed the boy. "What are on your thoughts, Darro?"

Their Persian navigator was at awe. Alexander was jealous of the Persians' bewilderment. All he saw was tall mountains, surrounding an inner jungle. They did not share the same perspectives. Darro was fascinated by it all.

"I will be honest." Darro looked at his King, shamefully. "I am amazed."

"I can see."

"Can you imagine the inside?" Darro murmured mostly to himself. "Full of gold and promises."

"I imagine it as full of animals and dirt." Alexander insulted to purposely lower the boy's excitement. "Yet, if your imagination is right, then I cannot wait to take it."

"Do you think the queen will submit?"

"No." Alexander smiled in hope. "A woman who was able to control a kingdom for this long without being conquered must have an ego."

"It would be admirable, your highness" Darro said.

"Admirable does not mean much when you are dead and no one to acknowledge it."

"You have to kill her?" He said sadly.

"If her ego does not betray her."

Darro looked away.

"Relax, Persian." Alexander smirked. "I am not blood thirsty. I sent the queen a letter to meet and discuss future events. Either she abides to my rules and admit she harbored the traitors or we will have ourselves a war."