48

"Queen..."

"Do not!" Queen's voice trembled. Her breathing unbalanced. "Do not lie as she had done. I will not tolerate any of it. Not with you."

Parmlium stumbled backwards. The mixture of old age and shock was enough to carry the old man to his knees. Luckily, he caught his body upon the desk and slid in the chair, toughly. "I would never lie to my Queen."

"However, you did!" Queen signaled the warrior to close the entry. "You had secret visits with my mother!"

"I have been cleared to speak with your mother."

Angrily, she stated. "Under my authorization if she was visited, you were required to inform your queen about your conversation and the reason for the stopover! Do not dare play games with me; like that girl who might as well been your conspirator!"

He tried to stand, but could not. "I did not know of Kiki's disloyalty."

"Because your poor heart could only hide your own infidelity?" Queen jeered. "Did you plan the celebration for the potential consorts, so they can pretend to get hurt, so I will not have my child?!"

"No!" his eyes widened.

"Did you insist I meet with Alexander, so there was time for Metrius' people to calculate their plans?!"

"No!"

"No?!" Queen shouted. "Why were you meeting my mother in secret?!"

He bellowed. "To protect you!"

They stopped.

Frozen in place.

Until, Queen questioned suspiciously. "Explain how speaking to the woman who hates me and conspiring with my brother is protecting me."

Parmlium tried to stand up on wobbling legs. Normally, Queen would run to help him to his feet and kept him steady by holding his arm. She would ask if he needed water or insisted he laid on his bed till he was confident to travel through the day.

Today was nonexistent of normality.

The hoarseness echoed the pain in his tone. "I served your father for a long time. We built Euritic together in his image. Building and protecting your father's dream as he expanded it into reality was my job. I was content to carry on in Kirk's shadow. My purpose was to take care of your father through taking care of Euritic. Though, my purpose altered when Rene had given birth to a beautiful baby girl."

Queen had to hold her breath.

"I made a promise to your father to protect you. As much as I saw the future of a strong girl who will change society as we view it, I agreed that my protection will be needed. These are the days where your father's worries were exact."

"Parmlium, I am weary of enquiring. I truthfully am. Why were you meeting my mother?"

He saddened. "I was compromising a deal with your mother and brother,"

"How could you?!" Queen gripped her hair in frustration.

"I had to." He said in a small voice.

"Out of all people..." she sat on the bed.

"I did not betray you. I betrayed Euritic." He said tearfully. "I was pleading with Metrius, through your mother, to keep you alive when he planned to succumb Euritic."

Queen gasped in disbelief.

"He promised to exile us after his coronation."

"How comforting."