22

Alexander was on his knees, staring up into the sky.

Was it possible to beg for forgiveness to a Persian god he did not believe in?

The last time Alexander bared his vulnerability out to the heavens was the day his mother assassinated his father's second wife and newborn son. The day the news was told to him, haunted him like no other entity. He was reeling from his father's assassination. While his mother celebrated the death, Phillip was still his father who inspired parts of his kingly duties today. He adopted the simple things; honoring his kinsmen and specially taken care of Macedonia.

Alexander frowned.

Shamefully, his mind warped into a black hole of nothingness when it came down to other things he had taken from his father. Nevertheless, like Phillip, he had committed multiple shameful actions to protect his position on the throne and evaded domestic threats.

This by far shaken Alexander's morale.

A strong hand cuffed around his shoulder blade, squeezing gently.

The familiarity of the touch exposed the person's identity. "They are ready?"

Hephaestion said lowly. "It is."

Yet, he was not. His knees wanted to bury its caps into the rocks and bleed out the guilt that ate through his soul. It seemed Hephaestion felt the immorality behind their next action.

"Hephaestion." Alexander whispered. "I believe if I do this not even Zeus would accept me into the heavens."

His close friend settled beside him, steadying his arm around the king's back. "Zeus waged war on his own father. He was a man who did what was necessary."

"Yes, Zeus waged war on his father. But Cronus was a man who swallowed his own children to avoid losing his crown." He pulled his face down from the forehead. "That was justified. Hades and I would become kin."

"Do not compare yourself to likes of him."

"How can I not?" The king murmured.

His vulnerability troubled Hephaestion. "Zander if it causes you so much havoc, then retract the command."

"Then suffer the consequences!" He exclaimed standing up.

Hephaestion was on his knees, looking helplessly up at Alexander.

He scoffed like Hephaestion responded to him out loud. "The men would turn against me the second I change the plan. Kallas has already shown his perspective and you all agree with him."

"The consequence you will suffer is more damaging than disappointing the men," frowning Hephaestion stood.

"Then, what is it?!"

"The same consequence that influenced my agreement with Kallas," he began. "We cannot allow a disease to spread. I despise the idea. But we are in danger now. Marcus' dead."

"I know."

"You have to prevent it from touching the army and most essentially, you."

"What if its in our men?" Alexander shuttered at the thought. "There are Persians soldiers in our army. They could have affected our people."

"The physicians said it is a Persian disease. Is it not? It can only affect Persians. Marcus was a unique case."

"The Persian soldiers should round up as well." Alexander confirmed.

"It will cost us. We need those people to fight in Euritic."

"A few hundred is with us." Alexander waved it off. "We can live with the sacrifice. Euritic people and their female leader are savages, which means they are easy to defeat. Remember the Egyptians?"